JANE asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 10 years ago

would a french drain be better with perforated pipe/landscape cloth and gravel or all gravel? Louisiana?

We've got our ditch dug. Now my neighbor and I are trying to decide whether to fill it with gravel or use the perforated pipe/landscape wrap and gravel. Help!

• Ranger
    Favorite Answer

Jenill is right, without the perforated pipe, and felt, the drain will be clogged with dirt within a year or two.

Start by putting down 4 inches of gravel, place the perforated pipe on top of the gravel, use stiff wires like clothes hanger wire and push it through the drain pipe to hold it in place while you dump more gravel around and on top of the drain pipe. Cover the top of the pipe with gravel about 4 inches deep. Cover the gravel with felt made for this purpose, then fill the trench in with dirt.

I put my first French Drain in place in 1975 and it is still working.

• JENELL

Definitely the landscape pipe/landscape wrap and gravel. Just filling with gravel will work ok for awhile, but eventually surrouning soil will get washed down into it, evenually clogging the drainage.