Urn
Urn asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicJazz · 10 years ago

I want to be introduced to jazz music...?

I love the sound of jazz music and I often go to jazz clubs to listen to local bands.

What good jazz bands are out there to get me started with jazz? Thanks :D

Best Answer

You might get a better flavor of real jazz by listening to some of the classic recordings. People will offer you different opinions on who is great and what albums are essential, but here's a list of titles you should consider. All of these are well-known albums by the most important artists in jazz. These tend to be older releases, but the provide a great foundation. They're not listed in any specific order, mostly by how much I like them.

I cannot imagine my jazz collection without these:

John Coltrane - "Giant Steps"

Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue"

Thelonious Monk - "Thelonious In Action"

Bill Evans - "Portrait In Jazz"

Charlie Parker - "The Complete Dial Sessions"

Dexter Gordon - "Go!"

Louis Armstrong and King Oliver (find the Heritage Jazz CD)

Wynton Marsalis - "Standard Time, Vol. 1"

Pat Martino - "Think Tank"

Sonny Rollins - "Tenor Madness"

Marcus Roberts - "The Truth Is Spoken Here"

Duke Ellington "The Best of Duke Ellington" (this is a good sampler)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-of-Duke-Ellington/dp/B0...

I can't imagine them without these, either, but you might want to listen to these after you've acquired a taste for the genre. These recordings are far more avant garde and a bit "out there."

Yest, they're all fun to hear, especially the Sun Ra set.

Cecil Taylor - "Unit Structures"

Ornette Coleman - "Free Jazz"

Eric Dolphy - "Out To Lunch"

Sun Ra - "Live At Montreux"

That should get you started.

There is way too much jazz out there it's hard to know where to begin. To get a feel for how jazz was in the 20s/30s, listen to Duke Ellington and Count Basie. For the 'bebop' era of jazz, which is faster paced, you can listen to John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, and Dizzy Gillespie.(Miles Davis has stuff from practically every era of jazz, so if you want someone who's got it all, listen to him). For the more modern/cool jazz (the stuff quintets like to play) I'd listen to Dexter Gordon, Wayne Shorter, Bill Evans, Herbie Handcock, and McCoy Tyner. Contemporary musicians like to play a lot more avant garde stuff, and some of my favorites from this genre are Kenny Garrett, Ornette Coleman, and Charles Mingus, and Theloneus Monk. For newer jazz stuff, I suggest the Gordon Goodwin "Big Phat Band" or the GRP records "All-Star Big Band" (this band does old songs in a new way). The Big Phat Band does this INSANE cover of Play that Funky Music by Wild Cherry.

Source(s): I love jazz

As a jazz musician myself, I can point you in a lot of ways. Here are some of my favorite groups from pretty much the beginning to cats that are playing today...

Louis Armstrong

Miles Davis

Ella Fitzgerald

Modern Jazz Quartet

Sonny Rollins

Caribbean Jazz Project

Stefon Harris

E.S.T.

Source(s): Wanderer

Do a chronological survey of Miles Davis' recorded output. Get the Ken Burns JAZZ DVDs from the library. You Tube Charles Mingus, Thelonius Monk and Duke Ellington.

• kiper

there are maximum of forms of Jazz, that it incredibly relies upon on your tastes. i incredibly like many times huge Band Jazz, and New Orleans Piano Jazz, yet some different types appeal besides. i decide for to propose Louis Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald for older types. Harry Connick Jr incredibly makes (or remakes) a sampling of a great variety of Jazz. some human beings decide for Miles Davis, in case you elect for to attempt him, i decide for to propose his CD form of Blue. there are a number of many followers of latest jazz (i'm no longer one in each of them), yet i think of Wynton Marsallis (i assume I spelled it appropriate), Kenny G, and John Coltrain are a number of your greater extraordinary integrants. Oh, till now I forget approximately, New Orleans Piano Jazz is wonderful, and for which you would be able to try Proffessor Longhair, Marcia Ball, a number of Harry Connick Jr's stuff, or do purely a seek for it and notice what you come back up with. sturdy success, and experience!

I know Chrisette Michele has a good jazzy sound to her music, YouTube her!