? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 10 years ago

Why does Dumbledore say "Severus, please..." in Half-Blood Prince?

Spoilers, if you haven't finished the Harry Potter series.

I just watched all the movies, but I haven't read the books yet. I know that Dumbledore asked Snape to kill him to protect Harry and since he was dying anyway.

But before he dies he says "Severus, please..." almost like he's begging for his life. Was this ever explained in the book? Was he asking him to kill him? Was it a last a minute fear?

Thanks so much.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

He's asking him to kill him.

At the same time, he's making it look like he's begging for his life, so he can still protect Snape's cover as a Death Eater.

• 10 years ago

I think JK left it to be interpreted, as she does with a lot of stuff in the last book. I believe he was saying "Severus, please..." for the acting sake, making sure everyone there believed Snape killed him unmercifully and all the Death Eaters would continue to trust Snape. But then again, Snape did hesitate, so Dumbledore could be asking him to kill him and go along with the plan, no matter how much it hurts him.

Oh, gosh you haven't finished the series? You're in for a huge shocker! It's so goood!!

• 10 years ago

He is asking him to kill him.

Dumbledore didn't want to tarnish Malfoy' soul. When Snape asked about his own soul, Dumbledore said that it would not ruin his soul to grant Dumbledore his wish.

• 3 years ago

i've got not got plenty to function on account that i became tremendously happy with this action picture. i've got consistently hated the Harry Potter video clips besides the 1st and 2d ones simply by fact they consistently destroy the books yet this 6th one is nicely easily worth the money. a lot of issues have been cut back and plenty have been further yet all-in-all it became directed enormously and pieced at the same time quite much-completely. people who forgot what became in the e book and people who have not study it would discover the action picture plenty extra superb, i've got self assurance. besides the undeniable fact that, you're suited, there is way too plenty teen romance. i won't stand how they made the harry and ginny factor look very similar to teen infatuation. video clips consistently substitute many of the failings in the books and so why no longer that? they might desire to have made the relation look extra mature to make the failings in the seventh e book look extra achieveable than it is. Nah, the Romilda Vane scenes weren't too plenty in spite of if Lavender did seem to have a lot of visual exhibit unit time. besides the undeniable fact that, it being so stressful made Ron and Hermione look plenty extra suited than it became made to look in the e book. purely desire they further a number of that attempt to Harry. Haha guess I had extra to function than i presumed. EDIT: one extra factor. As regular, i think of Michael Gambon's performing is decrease than passable for the function of Dumbledore (in spite of if his dramatic strikes are marvelous). It rather lacks the mysteriousness and sensible-guy character required for the function.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

he was asking Snape to kill him, since Snape hesitated a bit. Snape was always supposed to kill him so Malfoy wouldnt have too and it could save his soul.

Source(s): avid reader
  • 10 years ago

I actually thought it was because Severus hesitated in front of him and Dumbledore wanted him to just do it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.