Building a house out of cinder blocks?

I'm curious if it is feasible to build a house out of concrete cinder blocks. I'm talking about the large gray bricks with 2 holes and 8x8x16. I know foundations and basements are made with them, so they are definitely strong. Would they be better for keeping heat in in the winter? I would like to build about 3,000 square feet, two story with a basement. Would each room need steel beams in the ceiling? Probably finish the outside with stucco or just smooth it out. I'm interested in things like standing up to weather, being efficient to heat and cool, stability, sound dampening, etc. I predict that building with these blocks would provide as such, but I could be wrong.

Do you think zoning laws could be a problem? Like even if architects can make a safe plan, they might deny just because they don't like it?

Favorite Answer

I'm a home builder. Most of the homes in south Florida are built with these concrete blocks you are talking about. And yes they stucco over them with color of your choice. So that should answer all your questions. Very strong, termite proof,(a problem in south fl). They do cost more the wood studs but no problem using them in construction. It just needs to be on plans you are going to give to the building dept. with the detail sheets. Go Get'em Tiger!

• Rebel1

Waste of money the water will piss through the block try and build a structure that uses a cavity whereby you have an outer leaf a 100mm cavity then an inner leaf you can install insulation in the cavity or pump it in once the house is built personally I would install 65mm insulation in the cavity as insulation blown in fills the cavity and can bring moisture across to the inner leaf ,so if I were you I would do some more research on the subject and consult with an architect or engineer as to what would be the best option this method may cost more now but would be worth it in the long run.Also looking at this site would explain what I mean wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavity_wall