Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Your property rights vs. your neighbors' taste?

Should there be ordinances for what is/isn't allowed, if you were the homeowner? What if you were the neighbor?

"Bright green house leaves the neighbors livid"

Melanie Hicken; L.A. Times 7/10/2010

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-very-green...

Most HOA's in my neck of the woods dictate everything from no basketball hoops over the garage to the height of backyard shrubs (not allowed to be seen from the street).

Favorite Answer

i have not heard of anything like that except for the buisness signs like the mcds golden arches cant be but a certain height off the ground. Its really stupid i think. I think this is America and i think if they want that color of house, reguardless of their taste, it should be allowed. If neighbors dont like it, then they should put up a privacy fence. The color of that house should not dictate the value of their property. If anything, it should lower the taxes for how ugly it is. LOL! They should send a big thank you to the people. Hahaha

• Reaper

In some places there are. It depends on where you live. Some people have different tastes and that is what makes America great. I live out in the county. Yes we have Home Owners Association but there is really nothign those people can do, unless they take you to court and even then it is "iffy". However, the county I live in says no new trailors can be brought into the county due to the lack of stability during a heavy storm and hurricane and tornadoes. A county north of me, has instituted laws stating a person has to build with certain materials, and certain square footages(citizens and businesses must comply). The town is copying Germantown TN, and wanted everyone and all the businesses to have red brick homes and all nice size and looking homes.

Source(s): its life if you disagree send me an email
  • ?

If there is a homeowners association in a neighborhood, one usually must sign a contract to abide by the rules before moving in. If not, this is America, people can do what they want.

If there is a HOA, start there, if not, go to the Code Enforcement Officer. There may be a rule to help you. You can also ask about an "attractive nuisance" law.

You mean like Palin building a 16 foot fence?

God Bless America!