Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

To those who say greed is bad thing, what would happen if people lost the desire to achieve more in life?

That's all greed is. I have a lot now but I'll always continue to strive and work for more. So what? This is what has made us a great people. Why do you criticize it? Is it because you couldn't succeed and now are upset and want to see everyone else as poor as you?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Di
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Some of those who have no drive to achieve more in life prefer to live off taxpayer funded government largess. Because they are unwilling to work towards higher goals, they therefore resent those who work for a living, want the best results their efforts achieve and complain that they are not treated "fairly." Ivan Boesky (financier whose character was the model for Gordon Gekko in the movie "Wall Street", said in a speech to UC Berkeley "Greed is Healthy." Clearly, it was not too healthy for Boesky as he was later indicted and jailed for fraud, but the premise remains the same.

• 10 years ago

I don't see wanting to achieve additional success as being "greedy". When people feel like getting more money and having more power is the goal of life - that could be considered a bit greedy. Also when a person doesn't see a problem with stepping on people or being cruel to better themselves, that is all about greed and selfishness.

People should never stop wanting to be successful - nobody would have anything if they didn't. But people can do some pretty bad things and turn into robots for a piece of it. We want to be the first at everything and the best at everything.

If you're doing the right things and taking care of yourself and your responsibilities it shouldn't matter if others criticize you. People will always have something to say. .

And I don't think others want people you to "be as poor as they are". But many people who do the right things while watching others do the opposite to get ahead may think to themselves "why couldn't that be me?"

• Jody
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

I would prefer if humanity strived for the betterment of society as a whole, but yes greed is currently the worlds driving force.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

That is not what greed is. You can strive to achieve more without the use of monetary incentive. However, greed is willing to bankrupt all morality in order to get a few bucks.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • No, it's because greed often leads to abuse and unethical things, such as leaving multitudes of people around world starving and homeless, while letting others enjoy luxuries.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

you meant when the average Americans stop making inventions?

Maybe GW Bush and Paris Hilton will start inventing thing for the Corporations?

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

There is a difference between greed and ambition.

• ?
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

It is contrary to Christian doctrine which says greed is a sin.

It is counted as one of the 7 deadly sins: wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and glutton.

• 10 years ago

If no one succeeded who would the dems steel from?? Without the people that made all that money who would they hire??

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Heaven would have a waiting list to get in.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.