Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Is there any history of Jewish terrorist attacks on Germans after the holocaust?

I'm not counting hunting down the actual criminals, but bombings/shootings etc of German civilians as revenge. I can't find any record of any.

I'm just curious, most other groups would have been carrying out reprisals for generations. They seem to have moved on rather quickly.

Favorite Answer

No. My family lived in the displaced person's camps after the war. It was about getting married, having children & finding people to connect to since most have very little family or friends left.

There was no such thing as revenge. It was about recovery & shock. It's where as a child my father hear endless horror stories. To the point that years later he drew images & then later found the stories in books by other people -- he didn't realize he was drawing tales of what he'd been told. I guess by knowing what my father's later childhood was like there, how the time was spent, & how it felt, I can be certain it wasn't part of the cultural topics. (There were some pretty dark humor jokes though. Some grossest ones used by antisemites now, were actually created by Jews about their own horrible experiences.)

My family had run to the DP camps because the apartment bulding they'd moved into when they came back after the war, the landlord has made plans to kill all the Jews the next day so they ran through several countries & illegal border crossings to get to the DP camps. At first they went back to their country of origin & hoped to find someone alive. They didn't ever find anyone & determined that each person had died (my grandmother would not have stopped searching if she didn't have definite info.)

His father taught English (pretty funny given his English). Schools were formed early on. The big story at the USHMM (museum) is of the wedding dress creatively fashioned out of the parachute that was handed down from wedding to wedding. I sat next to the woman it was made for at a conference -- she didn't talk hate or revenge. She showed me endless photos of her grandchildren.

If you hang out with Jewish folks, you will find that it just isn't talked about that way. Judaism has faced this kind of things for millenia. If it'd had been focused on reprisals, there wouldn't be any Judaism any more. It is something special about the religion, I think. My father didn't teach me to hate Germans. No one did. Even the angriest victims I've met, don't talk in terms of global hate of anyone. They may not respect & may fear & my personally be disgusted with the group --- but they don't need anyone else to learn hate in order for them to cope with what they experience as personal. And it was ---- their personal experience & trauma. It only became group because of the massiveness of it.

I think I wrote out of sequence, but it's a hard topic to write on.

Another thing along the same line I find curious. Jsm is from the Middle East where culturally (it's not Islam itself, but a tribal cultural thing) there are honor killings. Jsm never had that. Yet it's from the same place though it developed much earlier than Islam or other religions. Maybe because Jsm was literally a counterformation to the ancient cultures around them that were sacrificing humans to their gods. It's one of the deepest threads in Jsm... as a result to honor life & not to kill. Continuing thinking -- even Jewish history hasn't had much internal killing strive since the time of the Temple around 2000 years ago. We've instead developed the art of dispute, discussion, & making each other crazy.

===================

Wayne

The displaced persons camps were mainly IN Germany. They were not under guard & many got jobs locally. It was within a year there were schools, organizations, businesses starting up, marriages... Everything moved forward very quickly as a way to save sanity.

The http://www.ushmm.org/ has a segment on it. "Life Reborn" that goes into many details.

Litulto

It's true it wasn't much of a topic outside of Europe. There was much suppression & initial inablity to even ask. However, there was no "okay he/she's" back." There was no "back" to come back to. The entire communities had been wiped out.

As a useful side note - what there was after the war was huge shame. The Jewish community felt like they'd let themselves be victims by trying for so long to appease the hate. That has a lot to do with the change in the Jewish community since then in two ways. One to do much more interaction & outreach with non-jews to face the hate head on & try to remove it. Two to create a place of safety where jews could defend themselves physically for the first time in 2 millenia, Israel. It took a long time for the shame (what victims often feel that stops them from talking) to go away so the community could start to look at it all better. But it didn't shift into revenge as a viseral immediate reaction either before or after.

Answers by at least one person here show how much the attacking of jews continues by extending it to Israel. They need to give some context (such as the war at Israel) instead of blanket vilification of the country as though they are "evil" if they want to be convincing that it's not just political or religious hatred.

Artorius

It's not terrorism when they are targeting known criminals. It has to be purposeful targeting of random civilians to be terrorism.

• Lilitu

There were not much left and those who came back generally faced a society that wanted to forget everything about the war and the horrors of the bombings. Jewish people who came back were regarded as "okay he/she is here again so what". The holocaust was not that big a common topic at all up until the 1960s.

The few jews who returned also "forgot" - how else could they have returned and lived in Germany.

This is a more or less normal reaction that if something is to shocking to be understood the human mind denies or "forgets" it - victims of child abuse show this reaction for example

There's no record of any terrorist attacks on Germans by Jews for revenge for the Holocaust. When Conrad Adenauer became the first chancellor of West Germany, he gave (in the name of Germany) a huge reparation cheque to the newly founded state of Israel (under David Ben Gurion). This eased tensions between Israel & Germany. The Holocaust brought about the creation of the state of Israel so many Jews felt appeased by having a nation they could call their own.

However, when Islamic terrorists killed 13 Israeli Olympic athletes at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich Germany (of all places), Israel (under Golda Meir) didn't take it standing down. They sent Mossad agents (Israel's version of the CIA) to assassinate the perpetrators who were spread out all over the world. They even planted a bomb in a Paris Hotel in France that almost killed innocent honeymooners. They fought terrorism with terrorism in order to get even.

• Wayne

No Jews were in Germany at the time to shoot any Germans, quite frankly.

I'm sure there has been resentment over the holocaust from individual Jews towards Germany as a whole, but I've never heard of this being organised into terrorism. Terrorism towards OTHER nations, on the other hand...