Is it weird that I think of a stuffed animal as friend?

I have this stuffed dolphin named "Dory" that I've had since I was 5. She's been with me thru a lot, like a custody case, bad experiences, etc. I have lots of other friends, too, but when they're not around, I like to have Dory with me. She also helps me sleep better. Is this weird?

Thanks for all your awesome feedback, everybody! And thank you for not judging! :)

Favorite Answer

No you're not ! I have about 10 of stuffed animal friends like that. Edmond, Anna, Sasha, Yuri, Rhea, Alexander, Alexandra, Aleksey, Utah, Morioka, Olga... all of them have been my close friends since childhood. I talk to them, let them reply via my voice, make plays with them... I can't sleep without at least four of them. You're not the only case. If she cheers you up, make you sleep better... then what's wrong with it ?

No not really. That stuffed animal has been there for you through some very tough times. That animal for you is much like a pet is to many people, something to confide in. All that stuffed animal, much like a pet can do is love you. But the thing is it is simply a representation. People althought their love may at times be transitory it is at reall when it is real. If the Dory comes between your relationships with other people then I would suggest that you find out what she represents and then try to take that into yourself. Dory is comforting, but you must remeber that Dory is "only" a stuffed animal, a pet can at least return some of your feelings a stuffed animals responses are all made up. No it's no weird people do it all the time, but don't let you and Dory's relationship get in the way with you and people's relationships.

theres nothing wrong with that... like .. word of advice i wouldnt go around twlling people about this, but to kee it a secret is ok.. thats ur comfort item, we all have them wether its a stuffed animal, a blanket, or what ev... ur not alone im sure plenty of other people have a special stuffed animal, and u dont even no it! if it makes you happy then keep dory, theres absolutly nothing wrong with that! and ont let someone tell you there is!

Not being mean, how old are you? I actually don't think anything is wrong with that. As long as you like to have Dory with you, keep her around. If she makes you happy and helps you sleep, what could be wrong with it?

• RACHEL

Nothing wrong with it. I too have a stuffed animal that is my favorite and stays in my room. Some of my friends do as well.

I have a teddy bear named "Bear-bear" that I had since I was like 4 and I'm 13. I have it on my dresser next to my makeup. It's ok to have a stuffed animal.

no. i don't think that you are weird because it's normal to have a stuffed toy friend especially if the toy has sentimental value for you.

no i think of my stuffed animals as friends because when u tell them some thing they will not tell any one else

• grey

not at all my friend

sometimes we all need comfort

always keep dory close