Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Do antidepressants work?

Favorite Answer

They are often useful. However they only work in appropriate patients.

Source(s): GP for more years than I care to remember

Great question, it’s important to be informed about antidepressants if you are considering taking them. People suffer from depression from a large variety of reasons, and not everyone will be treated in the same way. If a person is suffering from depression or other related mood disorders and it begins to severely affect their life and their ability to function - then a doctor will probably prescribe an antidepressant. Antidepressants can help to alleviate some of the negative feelings you are experiencing.

Some antidepressants have negative side effects such as nausea or headaches. This should be discussed with your doctor. One factor that can discourage people is that the first prescription you try may not be the right fit for you – everyone’s body responds differently. This can be discouraging when you’re obviously in a place where you need help – but it can take some time to find the right treatment for you.

Antidepressants are most beneficial when paired with therapy. Therapy can help you to discuss your issues and find the underlying root of what you’re experiencing. In addition, therapy can help you to build a plan of action on how to move forward.

If you have additional questions or need help locating a mental health professional in your area give us a ring at the Boys Town National Hotline. We have counselors available 24/7 to chat.

Good luck,

Jessie, Counselor

1-800-448-3000

Source(s): yourlifeyourvoice.org

Yes, they help people deal with depression. But it doesn't necessarily make it go away completely.

The first time I got prescribed an antidepressant, I felt so much better it was like a miracle.

Over the years, it has been less dramatic; I'm still slightly depressed and/or anxious, but the medication helps me control it. I'm much better off with it than I am without it.

I tried St. John's Wort, it worked pretty well, but it gave me horrible stomach aches. I also tried Kava, it tasted good, but I couldn't tell if it helped or not. In all fairness, I didn't use it for very long.

Source(s): I took medication for depression and anxiety on and off since 1983

There are many different types of antidepressants, and yes, one of them would probably work for an individual. A lot of them affect the receptors in your brain for seratonin and dopamine. Many people with depression aren't getting the "signals" to simply "be happy", which an antidepressant would fix. However, many people also need therapy to work through their problems along with the drug, and eventually may learn to cope with their depression without it.

Source(s): Personal Experience, Antidepressant Classes

antidepressants simply make your brain produce more of the neurotransmitters that are associated with mood (serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine). The antidepressant medications known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors expand your serotonin's "expiration date" in your brain, making the amount in there greater than usual (as opposed to having a decreased amount of the chemical.

I guess you could say that the medications "cover up" depression, but that is only because it's using chemicals to control your overall mood ( even though chemicals are already a big factor in mood).

Keep in mind these can also screw up all the amounts of each chemical. A lot of people end up with suicidal thoughts as soon as they stop taking their medication.

For me, those things made me worse. You really need to get a complete heath panel to make sure that some disease is not causing that depression. Also take a b complex (may help feel better). There is also a natural treatment called St John's Wort (this really helps me).

They worked for me after I had a hysterectomy. I was crying, could not sleep, could not function. I had a very bad sleep problem all of my life, and the medication really helped that problem as well as the menopause symptoms and nervousness.

if you are prescribed the right one it can HELP you get to feeling better, There is no cure, but they can make you feel a little/lot better than just letting depression go untreated.

How old are you and why do you need them? Sort your personal life out without using drugs.

With my experience, no.

I only got wose.

Sadness and suicidal thoughts got much worse for me.

I felt better once I quit using them.