Question regarding atheists and morality (it's not what you think, please see details)?

Every so often on here, I see an atheist imply that theists who live by moral laws are somehow less "free" than atheists. Most theists can't commit adultery, lie, steal, murder, rape or otherwise sexually assault/molest others, have sex with numerous partners, do an insane amount of drugs (not just... show more Every so often on here, I see an atheist imply that theists who live by moral laws are somehow less "free" than atheists. Most theists can't commit adultery, lie, steal, murder, rape or otherwise sexually assault/molest others, have sex with numerous partners, do an insane amount of drugs (not just talking about smoking a bowl every now and then, which I personally see nothing wrong with), purposely get drunk all the time, and generally treat people like dirt.
I'd say that *most* of you wouldn't want to do most of that stuff either, right? So when it comes right down to it, are you really any more "free" than theists? You guys have morals too, so what's the difference?
And before anyone says that theists are "forced" to follow these rules (because to not follow them means being sent to their religion's equivalent of hell), most of us are not. I personally don't do that stuff because it's either harmful to me, or harmful to others, and if you ask any other theist, most will say the same.
So here's the real question: Are you really more "free"? Really? And if you believe you are, how so? Even without religion, society has its own laws, and there are consequences if you don't follow them. So does society force you to follow its laws and rules, or do you follow them of your own volition, because you can't stand the thought of harming someone else?
BQ: What exactly is "free", and is *anyone* "free"?
Update: In response to another answers, there are many Christians and other religious people who are genuinely kind to homosexuals. I have many gay and bisexual friends; ask them how I treat them.
And come on, are there really any religious slave owners on here?
Update 2: BTW, I'm not giving any thumbs-down here, so I don't know where these are all coming from. In fact, I'm going through right now and giving you all a thumbs-up for your honesty. Thank you.