What to look for in a gaming computer?

When it comes to a gaming computer, what type of processor and video card should i be looking for? Also How much RAM and memory should i be looking for. And basically anything else i might be forgetting.

P.S. im a looser when it comes to computers.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Malek
    Lv 5
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The most important part of a gaming computer is the video card. You want the best video card you can find. That would either be a geforce gtx 200 series video card or a Radeon HD 4800 or 5800 series card or others around those series.

In terms of RAM, games don't require that much RAM. 4 gigs should be more than enough to run any modern game. You'd need more if you plan on running multiple large background applications while you game, but I don't see why anyone would do that.

In terms of processors, the new i3, i5, i7 processors from intel are great. You don't necessarily need the best processor for gaming. A good i5 processor would be just fine although you can never go wrong with an i7 processor. You could also go with the AMD equivalent processor. AMD's phenom II x4 processors are also very good and are usually compared with Intel's i5 processors.

• 3 years ago

i've got bought my computing device from eBay, 2 years old, yet nonetheless i will run Crysis on extremely severe devoid of any lag. Th reason they are low cost is using the fact once you purchase each and all of the aspects, it expenditures virtually a million/2 of Dell or computing device international's fees... some thing like this (interior the source container) If I have been you i might look ahead to the hot intel chip. considering the fact which you have a sturdy budget choose for Nvidia GeForce GTX 295. That GPU will final 4+ years. Mine is 8800 GTX, 3 years old and there are no video games that it won't be able to run on max settings. only pm me in case you elect for greater help.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

the things that u should be looking for is

1. core i5 or i7 processor which has recently taken over the market

2. atleast 2-3 gb of RAM (ddr2 or ddr3 anything will do)

3. graphic card preferrably ATI Radeon HD 5870( or any of ATI Radeon HD 5000 series)

4. a good lcd monitor of atleast 17 inch for a good gameplay .

5. A good gaming mouse(if u need cause the default one would work too

• 10 years ago

Graphics card is the most important.

I'd take a lower end CPU and only 2GB of ram with Great Graphics card over a better system with a mediocre graphics card.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

It really depends on how much money you have to spend on your computer. You want to get the best system for your budget.

Look for pre-built gaming systems such as Alien Ware. The systems are made for gaming and are really reliable. See http://www.alienware.com/

If you are going the custom route, try to install hardware with specs similar to theirs.

Thanks!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.