Trying to see if there is truth in the Rumors?

Growing up my Granddad used to tell us we had native american ancestry. How do I find out if there is any truth to this as he was quite the bull shiter. The main reason I am doing this is I am applying to a native american college and because it is so competitive the adviser told me to find out if I have any... show more Growing up my Granddad used to tell us we had native american ancestry. How do I find out if there is any truth to this as he was quite the bull shiter. The main reason I am doing this is I am applying to a native american college and because it is so competitive the adviser told me to find out if I have any native blood. This could help me get in. Please Help!
Update: I dont' want any "benefits". The way this school and most native schools work is they take men from their tribe, then women from their tribe, then men from other tribes, then women from other tribes, then white me, then white women. If I can prove I have even a tiny little bit of Native blood... show more I dont' want any "benefits". The way this school and most native schools work is they take men from their tribe, then women from their tribe, then men from other tribes, then women from other tribes, then white me, then white women. If I can prove I have even a tiny little bit of Native blood (can't just use DNA test, you have to do a tree type of thing) I will be moved from the bottom to closer to the top for selection. I have busted my rear to get good grades in all of my generals and pre-reqs so taking no for an answer is not a option.