What is a vitamin D deficiency?

I've been feeling awful lately (dizziness, black outs when I laugh, muscle pains, tingling, weakness/fatigue, random bruising) and my doctor did some tests and diagnosed me with a vitamin D deficiency because my blood work showed 22.6ng/ml. Is this a dangerously low level? He said the normal range was 30-80, so it doesn't seem far off, but if the preferred number is right in the middle at 55 mine seems a extremely low.

I do work nights, so I can understand what's causing this. It just doesn't seem possible that me feeling this terrible could really be caused by vitamin D. Can vitamin D really cause you to feel so bad?

Also, he prescribed me a supplement, but will that be enough? I work nights 6 nights/week; getting out in the sun more than I do isn't really much of an option at this point in time..

RE:

What is a vitamin D deficiency?

I've been feeling awful lately (dizziness, black outs when I laugh, muscle pains, tingling, weakness/fatigue, random bruising) and my doctor did some tests and diagnosed me with a vitamin D deficiency because my blood work showed 22.6ng/ml. Is this a dangerously low level? He said the normal...

Vitamin D is a group of fat-soluble secosteroids, the two major physiologically relevant forms of which are vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) and vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol). Vitamin D without a subscript refers to either D2 or D3 or both. Vitamin D3 is produced in the skin of vertebrates after exposure to ultraviolet B light from the sun or artificial sources, and occurs naturally in a small range of foods. In some countries staples such as milk, flour and margarine are artificially fortified with vitamin D, and it is also available as a supplement in pill form.[2]

Vitamin D is carried in the bloodstream to the liver, where it is converted into the prohormone calcidiol. Circulating calcidiol may then be converted into calcitriol, the biologically active form of vitamin D, either in the kidneys or by monocyte-macrophages in the immune system. When synthesized by monocyte-macrophages, calcitriol acts locally as a cytokine, defending the body against microbial invaders.[3]

When synthesized in the kidneys, calcitriol circulates as a hormone, regulating, among other things, the concentration of calcium and phosphate in the bloodstream, promoting the healthy mineralization, growth and remodeling of bone, and the prevention of hypocalcemic tetany. Vitamin D insufficiency can result in thin, brittle, or misshapen bones, while sufficiency prevents rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults, and, together with calcium, helps to protect older adults from osteoporosis. Vitamin D also modulates neuromuscular function, reduces inflammation, and influences the action of many genes that regulate the proliferation, differentiation and apoptosis of cells.[4]

Along with a Vitamin D3 supplement you might want to consider taking a good multivitamin too.

Easy bruising (if no other cause is found) can be caused from a lack of vitamin C in your diet.

vitamin D is essential for healthy bones (it helps the body use the calcium)

a deficiency leads to arthritis, cancer, osteoporosis, and many other bone health issues

you might not feel that bad now but wait a few years

supplements will give ur body what it needs . .they taste disgusting but they help immensely

Source(s): stay healthy!

Absolutely. Get yourself a light lamp which will help your mood if you can't get into the sun.

You NEED vitamin D for your body to stay healthy.

• friedt

Vitamin D Deficiency Bruising

• james

1

Source(s): Nasal Obstruction Remedies http://NasalPolypsRemedy.latis.info/?6m55

Improve Kidney Function Starting Today - http://Kidney.NaturallyGo.com

It is when you do not have enough Vitamin D.