What is a vitamin D deficiency?

I've been feeling awful lately (dizziness, black outs when I laugh, muscle pains, tingling, weakness/fatigue, random bruising) and my doctor did some tests and diagnosed me with a vitamin D deficiency because my blood work showed 22.6ng/ml. Is this a dangerously low level? He said the normal range was 30-80,... show more I've been feeling awful lately (dizziness, black outs when I laugh, muscle pains, tingling, weakness/fatigue, random bruising) and my doctor did some tests and diagnosed me with a vitamin D deficiency because my blood work showed 22.6ng/ml. Is this a dangerously low level? He said the normal range was 30-80, so it doesn't seem far off, but if the preferred number is right in the middle at 55 mine seems a extremely low.

I do work nights, so I can understand what's causing this. It just doesn't seem possible that me feeling this terrible could really be caused by vitamin D. Can vitamin D really cause you to feel so bad?

Also, he prescribed me a supplement, but will that be enough? I work nights 6 nights/week; getting out in the sun more than I do isn't really much of an option at this point in time..
4 answers 4