Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 decade ago

Where can i get a bill of sale form for California?

Do I need one besides the title or is it recommended? please help! thanks! I live in Southern California and I am selling my car for around $2000.

what is on a bill of sale? Why should i need it?

Favorite Answer

its for tax when the new owner brings it to the dmv, grab your registration and fill out the new owners information and be sure and mail it to the dmv. I believe you can get a bill of sale online, check online at the california dmv, and download a copy on your printer, but you can take a blank peice of paper, write bill of sale across the top, then write I..................... sold my 1999 ..................... to ..............................

a in as is condition for the sum of .............................. on this day in

july............................ the vehicle is sold in as is condition,

no warranty vehicle is blue in color 6 door chevy monte

carlo vin number......................... license number...........................

signed .....your name................ buyers name..............

thats a simple bill of sale and it has all the info. some states may require a notary but I dont know about CA

You can find samples of an automotive Bill of sale on the Internet. A quick search will find hundreds of examples. There is no official state form.

A Bill of Sale is a document describing the transaction in detail. If executed properly it is a legally binding sales contract and it will protect both the seller and they buyer from future claims.

The BoS should include details of the car being sold. Make model, year, mileage, color, etc. It should also include contact information for both the seller and buyer. It should have the agreed upon price of the car, the agreed upon method of payment, the agreed upon date of delivery. It should also list the condition of the car including all know defects. You should include a statement saying the car is sold AS-IS with no warranty or guarantee and that the buyer assumes all liability for any repairs or maintenance after the car has been delivered and payment received. Include a no refunds statement. Have both seller and buyer sign it, date it and if possible have it notarized.

A Bill of Sale is not legally required but it is a smart thing to have. If done properly it will hold up in any court of law.

Ive written dozens on plain pieces of paper.