Is my recruiter just using a tactic?

I went to the Army recruiter today with my mind set on becoming an officer as I'm just about to finish my Bachelor's degree, and I've had my mind set on the military since I graduated from High School. (My parents really had to convince me to wait till after I got my degree) Anyway, I get there, and... show more I went to the Army recruiter today with my mind set on becoming an officer as I'm just about to finish my Bachelor's degree, and I've had my mind set on the military since I graduated from High School. (My parents really had to convince me to wait till after I got my degree)

Anyway, I get there, and it seems the entire session, all he's doing is telling me how full everything because there's a recession and how most people who want to join just aren't getting in. He of course tells me to forget about OCS and just go enlisted (yeah, typical) and go for Active instead of Reserve because all his friends hate reserve and want to get out of it.

I've been to recruiters before (after High School), and I must say this guy's tactics threw me off, and made me just want to give up on the entire thing after all. I'm not going to, but still. Do you think this is just a tactic to get me into Active Enlisted or is there a lot of truth. I'm not even sure how good of a candidate I would be, so I'm kind of worrying that he might not just be yanking my chain. I got a 97 on the ASVAB out of High School (I'm going to have to take it again), and I have a 3.0 GPA with a Bachelor of Science in Anthropology (basically a pre-med degree). He said he had a guy with a 99 on the ASVAB who wasn't getting in.

I think I'm just going to keep pushing for Officer Reserve (since I want to go through Graduate School), even though the enlisted jobs looked awesome.
Update: I would actually love to go Active, but my mom is already going insane about it, and I have a girlfriend that would probably break up with me if I did. She was really shaken up and crying when I just said I was going to join the Reserves. :P
Update 2: Thanks guys! Like I said, I would LOVE to go Active, but I'm mainly going for reserves to ease my parents and gf's mind. I'm not afraid of being shipped off, but I would like to enjoy the greater amount of freedom that reservists have when not deployed to use for work and getting my advanced... show more Thanks guys! Like I said, I would LOVE to go Active, but I'm mainly going for reserves to ease my parents and gf's mind. I'm not afraid of being shipped off, but I would like to enjoy the greater amount of freedom that reservists have when not deployed to use for work and getting my advanced degrees.

And yeah, no convictions, clear record, in very good shape, no medical issues, and I want to serve my country. I hope to go active later on, after I have my degree also.