? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

Why is Esperanto so easy to learn and would it be a gateway to learning more languages?

I was wondering why Esperanto is considered so easy to learn and is considered the 'Internation Language', I mean you hear so little about it, but it's very simalure to English and was created in the 1800's. I was also wondering if it could be a useful gateway to other languages (preferrably Germanic/Romance) I have heard many good things about this language but want to make sure before I try it myself. I speak German and am making an attempt to learn Portuguese, and wanted to know if I should try this first if it is more simple as a 'gateway language' if you will to help me learn Portuguese (Brazil). And yes, incase you didn't notice, English is my native tongue.

Favorite Answer

>Why is Esperanto so easy to learn

A couple of people already answered this. But as simple of

the basis of Esperanto are, reading a good book in Esperanto

is as good as reading it in any other language, including

English ... some times with more details, more nuances, and

better comprehension.

>and would it be a gateway to learning more languages?

There are several reasons for this.

The structure of Esperanto makes grammar easy to

understand. After learning some Esperanto you will better

understand the English grammar, and the grammar of any

other language you try to learn.

You also learn about the making of words, what helps to

acquire vocabulary. Esperanto takes good advantage of the

use of prefixes and suffixes, but all languages have them.

Then, after a few hours (less than 20) of studying Esperanto,

you will be capable of contacting Esperanto speakers from

other countries, who will be very happy to help you practice

what you had learned. If you contact several countries, with

different languages ... these Esperanto speakers can help

you chose your next language. And whatever language you

chose, the Esperanto speakers that also speak that language,

would be happy to help you with their own language.

Some of them will invite you to stay at their houses.

>I was wondering why Esperanto is considered so easy to

>learn

Maybe because the basic course can be completed in less

than 20 hours. But you must study during those hours.

Some concepts wouldn't look so easy to grasp. With

practice you will understand those concepts.

>and is considered the 'Internation Language',

This is opinion ...

>I mean you hear so little about it,

Yes ... but not less than you hear about the other 6000

"natural" languages. How many of those 6000 can you

name?

>but it's very simalure to English

Not so similar. All languages are different. Even languages

like Spanish and Portuguese, that look so similar, aren't

mutually understood by their speakers.

For me, learning English took half a life. I started to speak

Esperanto in a couple of months ... even if not fluently at

the beginning.

>and was created in the 1800's.

It was published in July 1887 ... 123 years ago.

>want to make sure before I try it myself.

This is not so easy. Most people that speak and use

Esperanto regularly, like I do, will tell you that you must

learn Esperanto.

But there are people, like Alecs Henry, who likes to brag

about the fact that he knows nothing about Esperanto,

by saying that "esperanto is pointless."

Unfortunately, the people that have not experimented

Esperanto are more than people like me, that at least once

was in a room with 3000 Esperanto speakers from 75

countries speaking Esperanto with complete understanding

and no translators,

>wanted to know if I should try this first if it is more simple

>as a 'gateway language' if you will to help me learn

>Portuguese (Brazil).

Of course you have to try Esperanto. It will take less time

to learn Esperanto and Brazilian Portuguese, that just to

learn Portuguese. And then ... in Brazil you will find

thousands of Esperanto speakers willing to help you

learn their language. I am sure that many of them will invite

you to stay at their houses.

And, my dear Alecs Henry, please read the previous paragraph.

Both of you ... have very good luck, learning Esperanto and

Portuguese.

.

• delma

Is Esperanto Easy To Learn

It is easy to learn because its rules are consistent and has virtually no exceptions or variations like "irregular verbs". The structure of the sentences is very basic and simple aditions to a single sustantive can turn into several different words.

This way, a single word can mean big, huge, giant, small, tiny and microscopic just by changing two letters.

It may help you with other languages because it combines various major languages, including latin that is the base for all romance languages (italian, spanish, portuguese, french, catalan, etc.).

• Bridge

Esperanto is easy to learn because it is so regular, it never deviates from the grammar rules. All natural languages have deviations. Esperanto never really caught on all that well, so I do not think it is very useful. Spanish is the best language to learn for Anglo speakers who don't wnat to put up with a whole bunch of irregularites; it's one of the easiest, but still quite a bit harder than Esperanto. But it is so much more useful!

English is a culmination of many languages- a West Germanic language that developed from Old English, so German may be a good choice for you. Some of the English words also came from Norman French, Latin, and Greek. Because we have some Latin-based language influences in English, learning a Latin-based language like Spanish, French, or Italian can be easier as well. I think it would be harder to learn another language that didn't use the same form of written language like English, French, German, etc. speakers use. I imagine that it would be difficult to learn a language like Arabic. Also, learning a language like Chinese (one of the many dialects)- where intonation is so important would be hard.

Esperanto is easy to learn for several reasons:

* Simple grammar - rules are quick and easy to learn, and there are relatively few of them.

* Completely regular grammar - you learn a rule once, and you always use it the same way.

* Flexible grammar - although simple and regular, it offers multiple ways to say the same thing, allowing you to choose the way that makes the most sense to you or is easiest to remember.

* Almost idiom-free lexicon - almost no special context-dependent exceptional meanings of words to memorize; you learn a word's definition once, then you can confidently use it as you learned it.

* Low polysemy - each word has relatively few meanings, making them easier to memorize and manage.

* Universal applicability - grammar rules and words can be used everywhere, with no "yeah, it's grammatically (or otherwise) correct, but nobody says it that way" - if it follows the few simple rules, it's correct.

* Free word formation by almost unlimited combination of word roots - you can create words on the fly from the simple building blocks.

* Tendency to maximum internationality in choice of words - words tend to be relatively easy to recognize.

Put those together, and you get a language that is much easier to learn and use than ethnic languages.

Esperanto is considered the "International Language" (and is actually called that sometimes in Esperanto [actually, "la lingvo internacia" :-)]) for the following reasons:

* Intent - it was created for use as a common second language to ease communications between people of different mother tongues.

* Design - it was created to be relatively easy to learn for everyone.

* Usage - it is actually used today around the world, even if not that many people speak it in each place (it has about 2,000,000 or so speakers and growing, with a comparatively strong presence on the Internet).

As for Esperanto being a gateway language, read this blog entry and subsequent passionate discussion hosted by Benny the Irish Polyglot, who speaks Esperanto and a few other languages, and recommends Esperanto as an aid to learning other langauges (as do I):

http://www.fluentin3months.com/2-weeks-of-esperant...

About 80% of the vocabulary is drawn from Latin languages (French foremost), so in addition to the above, learning Esperanto vocabulary will help with vocabulary acquisition in Latin languages.

Just a word of caution about its ease of learning. As easy as it may be, it is not infinitely easier than other languages, only several times easier. It is a complete language and as such requires considerable time and effort, just not as much as other languages - hundreds of hours to achieve mastery, as opposed to thousands of hours for ethnic languages.

If you don't already know where to find good learning material, try the following:

* http://www.lernu.net offers a number of free self-study courses of varying levels

* http://www.ikurso.net has a free downloadable multimedia beginner's course

Plej bonan ŝancon lernonte esperanton!

(Best of luck learning Esperanto!)

Do you want to make studying Spanish humorous? Then you should try this program from here https://tr.im/fYRe8 , one of the languages of Rocket Languages.

The dialogues and lessons from this course are presented in a humorous and fascinating way and not like Rocket’s competitors; they don’t use a cookie cutter technique (in other phrases the content material is unique).

Members from Rocket Languages have access to a learner’s forum for the specified language as nicely as a general forum for everyone. This is a good function to have since it enables people to request for clarification and engage with one another specially given that native speakers are actively moderating the forum.

Rocket Languages is the best online program of Spanish.

• Tony

1

Source(s): Learn Spanish Online http://enle.info/SpanishLanguageLessons/?1iaX

If you will like to discover Spanish then, the easiest way to do that is with a program

I am learning portuguese because my gf is brasilian. esperanto is pointless.