Earning a living at sports betting, myth or possibility?

I know quite a lot about some sports and I have tried to bet on them but I failed miserably. Also, the real experts (like former players and game analysts for example) who have a tremendous amount of knowledge about a certain game, often end upon making terrible predictions about the outcome of a game. So, I... show more I know quite a lot about some sports and I have tried to bet on them but I failed miserably. Also, the real experts (like former players and game analysts for example) who have a tremendous amount of knowledge about a certain game, often end upon making terrible predictions about the outcome of a game.

So, I wonder, are there fellow out there that can actually make a living betting on sports? If so, do they know more about a sport that gives them an edge? Do they use systems? In short, what do they do and know that other unsuccesful bettors don't?

Sports betting seems pretty straightforward to me, but to make money at it consistantly and growing a bankroll sounds just impossible, or not?