Dove asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 10 years ago

Deviled Eggs Dry Mustard Substitute?

I'm making Deviled eggs and I don't have dry mustard, but I was wondering if i could substitute 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard for 1/2 normal yellow mustard....because if I buy dry mustard I won't ever use it again and I'm big on saving every penny...so can I substitute it with regular yellow mustard?

Favorite Answer

Use about 1 tsp for yellow mustard. I usually use 1/2 tsp. of dijon mustard, which is super spicy, so put in about double that of yellow mustard. Good luck :)

• maner

Deviled Eggs Dry Mustard

Mustard Substitute

I've never used dry mustard. Just add yellow mustard to taste before you fill the eggs.

• April

I've tried the dried mustard before & didn't like it in deviled eggs. It just doesn't taste right. Sure, you can use yellow mustard. Use can also make deviled eggs without mustard. Some people don't like the mustard in their deviled eggs. Personally I like the mustard flavor.

• Susan

Yes, regular mustard works fine. Use a small amount and maybe cut back a tad on the mayo so they won't be too runny. You can use dijon, honey mustard or any kind you have. My favorite way to make deviled eggs is to use the Kraft salad dressing (it looks like really thick thousand island dressing & it's on the condiment aisle near the mayo) It already has bits of pickle relish in it and is very colorful. If you have pickle relish (sweet or dill) you can add that to the egg mixture, too, but again be careful not to get it too runny.

Of course wet yellow mustard is the best. I tell you what, French's is the only one when making deviled eggs. There is something in the French's, maybe the vinegar or something, that makes the best deviled eggs. And for a nice spicy kick, just a dab of prepared horseradish makes the best eggs. Try it sometime.

• Lisa B

Absolutely! I've never heard of using dry mustard anyway. I use yellow.

I always use yellow mustard, but I don't ever measure it. I just squirt some in and mix. If I need more, I add a little more.

• ?

I always use wet yellow mustard for my deviled eggs, so go for it :- D