Clumsical asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Whats the strangest dog breed name, in your opinion?

I'm not talking "designer dogs" names, those are all weird.

Which breed name did you just hear and wonder "why would someone call a dog that?"

For me, when I first heard about the Kelpie I though it was kind of weird thing to call a dog, and I know it's a pretty common breed but poodle... who came up with calling a dog "poodle"?

I'm not trying to bash any specific breed or the characteristics of these breeds, I'm just talking names here.

haha, Hottentot... that's fun to say.

Favorite Answer

Xoloitzcuintli, I mean.. what the hell o.o *That's* a strange breed name now.

Another one would be the Viszla, I actually like the breed name, and the breed, but it's a little strange as well. I think it's just stranged as to how it rolls off your toungue -- which is why I like it.

#

Ciao, Chow Chow! Say it fast enough, it sounds like a lazer from a gun. -_-

ETA: LOL @ the meet Chewbacca thing.

Source(s): Ciao (Pronounced Chow) = Chow in Italian.
  • Maria

I think it's great you have such an active imagination. There's no "German Shepherd Police Dog" breed. There's a K-9 training facility near where I live and believe me, the dogs are not any bigger than normal GSDs and Belgian Malinois. The only difference is that the dogs are well bred for working and have been trained extensively. Your little hate story about pits is cute but no one with a brain believes you own a trained police dog.

I guess there is no strangest dog breed name. What sounds strange to us possibly makes perfect sense for someone in the country of origin. However, considering I speak English, here are a few wierd ones:

Xoloitzcuintli

Caucasian Ovcharka

Cao de Fila de Sao Miguel

Peruvian Inca Orchid

Cirneco D'Ell Etna

Deutscher Wachtelhund

PBGV!!! Haha

the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen

Usually called a P.B.G.V.

Xoloitzcuintli. Can you even pronounce it??

It's pronounced: show-low-eats-kweent-lee

It's the Mexican Hairless Dog!

I had a hell of a time figuring out how to pronounce it until I read an article in the Dog Fancy a coworker had left in the break room and they had a pronunciation guide.

There's also the Catalburun, Jindo, Puli, Pumi, Mudi, Azawhak, Stabyhoun (not a typo, it's houn not hound haha), and Basenji sounds nifty.

The weirdest one to me is the Blackmouth Cur... it sounds like a type of fish! We had one at work once in the PetsHotel. :O

Source(s): Studied dog breeds and work at the PetSmart PetsHotel... we see all sorts of crazy breeds there!
  • I'm gonna have to go with xolo

we were playing a game at school, the game was to shout out a dog breed matching the letter

I shouted out that for X and my teachers didnt believe me :/

Xoloitzcuintle is up there for me, and I know that it's extinct, but the Hottentot sounds like a hot tater tot?

Aww Man! I wanted to tell the story about me and Jennifer's made up designer mongrel =( FINE.

I think the Appenzeller Sennenhund sounds a little strange. As well as the Xolo, which YES I can pronounce :)

Chinese Chongqing Dog has an insane name. Just the Chongqing tho, I think..

So does the Chippiparai, it sounds like a toungue twister if you try to say it enough times.

Griffon Fauve de Bretagne is hell to pronounce, and is strange too!

Hamiltonstövare, that sounds like a pig that made a stove.. or made it *into* the stove... *evil laugh*

Schweizerischer Niederlaufhund. Does that NOT sound like a made up name?

Source(s): Learned a lot of dog breeds while in Europe.
  • The Xolo, like everyone else has mentioned.

Sloughi

Drever

Pumi

Ariegeois

The four Belgian Shepherd breeds:

Groenendael

Laekenois

Malinois

Tervuren

Bouvier des Flandres

Dunker

Xoloitzcuintli- Everything is weird about it. What it looks like and The name of the breed.

Here is a picture of the breed.

http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/images...