Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 10 years ago

Were The 50s like Mayberry From The Andy Griffith Show?

Favorite Answer

I grew up in a small town, the cops were visible on the streets and knew every kids name. So in many ways yes, people were more innocent, neighbors were friendly. no one locked doors, everyone sat on the front porch in the evening. I think the assassination of John Kennedy, was the beginning of the end for that life.

• Malcom

Yes, actually pretty close. We had a deputy much like Barney, he had no sense of humor, and we kids would torment him.

The Sheriff was a gentle kind man who earned the respect of all the kids. We would do most anything for him, and he was super tolerant of our pranks. Our town was smaller than Mayberry.

• -

In rural areas of northwest Missouri it was close to that. People took their time to have a real conversation and cared about other people's feelings more.

There were squabbles that divided small towns to the point that business owners put signs in their windows saying that they didn't need the business of anyone who disagreed, and it was almost comical and like that show.

It was like Mayberry where I live in NC then. Not anymore.

Maybe -- if you lived in Mayberry! I lived in a big city, thank God! It was alive and so were we.

• daisy

I would think pretty similar but I lived in the suburbs of a large city and not in a small village, as I do now.

i could get Floyd to diminish my hair, Aunt Bee to make me some pie, and Goober to alter the oil in my motor vehicle! each so often there is benefit to what we expect of is a extra straightforward time. notwithstanding, I gots to have my rock and roll so as that could have been a controversy. and that i truthfully could have had my eye on Opie!

It's possible that it was, but not in my world.....a family of 9 was a burden back then....Me, being number 5.....But I think having it so hard has made me so strong today...!

They sort of were in the very small town i lived in back then. No talk of drugs,etc,because we didn't use them.

the area where I lived was like that, easy goin', no rush, and no 12 lane highways.