Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What are the laws involving using song lyrics and movie quotes in a book you publish?

I tried calling free legal advice but no luck so far, I'm hoping to publish a book with several favorite movie quotes and song lyrics thruout the book. Citing the source is no problem but I'm unclear on the copyright laws about it?

Followup question: How to ask permission; who do I ask or email?

Favorite Answer

Movie quotes are basically quotes from the script and last I checked, no one has been sued for scripts so you might be safe. If you plan on publishing with a publisher, an editor might help you. If it's fiction for fun on the internet, just use a disclaimer.

You have to seek permission for the song lyrics - the copyright is owned by the lyricist, so you may not reproduce them or quote from them without permission.

I don't know what the situation is with movie quotes, sorry.

well i don't see anything wrong with doing that i did it in one of my old stories i wrote.