Brad asked in SportsFootball (American) · 10 years ago

Who was better: Kurt Warner or John Elway?

Since MVP's are apparently the deciding factor in determining the better QB.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

John Elway. Kurt Warner has good numbers, but they are highly inflated because he has played for two teams who's offenses who were heavily in favor of the pass in a time where offenses are the most protected they've ever been. Elway is considered one of the top NFL players ever and a future Hall of Famer. Warner might be a fringe Hall of Famer.

• 10 years ago

The mark of a truly great quarterback is to win the games that matter most and until the very end of his career Elway could not win the big games for that reason even though he is better than Warner in every category I would say Kurt Warner because when he was put in a position in which he needed to rise to the occasion he did so more often than John Elway.

• 10 years ago

Tough choice but I go with Warner.

Before you say Warner was surrounded by Hall of Fame talent, remember that they had 9 consecutive losing seasons before he took over in 1999. Then you know the story about The Greatest Show on Turf and after the Rams gave the Bulger the starting job, the Rams only had one winning season (2003) until today.

From 1990 until today, the Rams had 4 winning seasons and 3 of them were with Warner.

After he was released by the Rams due to several injuries, he went to the Giants where Warner had them in the playoff race with a 5-4 record and Tom Coughlin unexpectedly gave the starting job to Eli Manning, finishing the season 6-10. We know Eli had a breakout season in 2005 and won the Super Bowl in 2007, but at that moment the Giants fans were pissed for throwing away a playoff season.

Finally the Cardinals, again some people claim he was surrounded by great receivers when the reality was that Arizona had 9 consecutive non winning seasons and Warner had the 32nd ranked running game in 2008 and 2009. And don't forget that Matt Leinart and Josh McClown couldn't do crap with that receiving corps.

No question, Elway was one of the most exciting players to watch and one of the most clutch QB ever (I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 47 comebacks or the Drive), but Warner turned around two perennially losing teams and took them to the Super Bowl.....and there is plenty of evidence to think that given the chance he would have taken the Giants farther in 2004.

• 10 years ago

I'm not sure that MVP's or Super Bowl victories are the only criteria that should be used to determine who's better. Leadership, arm strength and escape ability would have to play into my decision. I like Kurt Warner, but Elway was a more exciting player and a better athlete.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Super Bowl wins is the deciding factor and Elway leads Warner 2-1 there. Warner had an elite receiving corps in both St. Louis and Arizona, while Elway's crew of receivers was decent, but not spectacular.

So I've got to go with Elway.

• 10 years ago

Wow, im going with Kurt Warner. I know john Elway was a great running quarter back, a very hard thrower and even after he dove that spinning touchdown in the superbowl. i will still take kurt.

Everybody said he had the greatest core of receivers but they didnt do to well with mark bulger. And denver had a kicker. St louis was so good they never used their kicker in a lot of games that year! Thats unheard of! Kurts defense was the worst when he wont the superbowl. St louis is the only team with no defense to win a superbowl.

edit: i will say though, marshal faulk was one of the greatest running backs ever! TD was great but i think he prospered from the denver offense just like a lot of the 1,000 yard rushers

edit: what are people talking about. Have they looked at the denver staff on those superbowl teams? Seriously, the best offensive line maybe ever. Sure produced more thousand yard runners than i could remember. Their defense was great too. Elway himself, a 2,000 yard rusher. And didnt they have shannon sharpe? A mismatch and a half. Elway had a great team people.

Those receivers you guys mentioned were only a shell of themselves when warner left.

• 10 years ago

Warner- 1 super bowl win, 2 mvps, 5 pro bowl selections, 3 all pro selections

Elway- 2 super bowl wins, 1 mvp, 9 pro bowl selctions, 5 all pro selections

Each were super bowl MVPs and have great stories. Based on those stats I'll go with Elway.

• 10 years ago

Elway

• Seti I
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Elway

• 10 years ago

John Elway TD300 INT 226 YDS 51,475 RTG 79.9

Kurt Warner TD208 INT128 YDS 32,344 RTG 93.7

i would go with john elway because john didnt have that great of a team like kurt started with and ended with he has always had a great recieving core and john never had much of reciever core and he always put up good numbers and won 2 superbowls

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.