Can states sue federal government over lack of enforcement of immigration laws?

I am all for legal immigration - there is now a gigantic line of legal immigrants waiting in line while anyone can cross the border and claim American residence without waiting in that line. I think USA citizenship and residence should be worth more than illegal entry. But the feds, while holding the line on legal applicants long, keep on granting amnesties, thus rewarding illegal entrants with faster path to residency/citizenship. And there are drug traffickers and other criminals in those here illegally.

I am all for expanding legal immigration - as long as people stand in line, work and not stay on welfare after coming here, and there are enough jobs for all of us.

Do you think states can sue the Feds over not enforcing laws but fostering future voters through possible amnesty?

Update:

The funny thing about illegal immigration in California now is that we have one of the highest levels of unemployment in the nation (for residents and citizens) but I have heard that we have plenty of job opening for skilled people, like engineers - only the entry level jobs are totally exhausted, and this may be due to our high level of illegal immigrants taking those jobs.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If they are not able to do so now, the right should be given; not only to states but also individual

citizens. Illegal aliens have killed & committed other crimes against American citizens, they or

members of their families should be allowed to sue the Fed for allowing it by not enforcing our immigration laws; which are even stricter than the Arizona law.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

hey me too! but once the Country doesn't have any need for laborers. do you know how difficult is for anyone to get a work visa for USA? there's too many requisites, and also they're asked to bring some cash with them. about $2000 dollars. in south America they have to prove property and a "good" bank account balance. if you have that in your Country, will you come here to cut the grass or clean up the bathrooms at any public place? will you do that for a lower rate and live in a filthy, dangerous poor neighborhood? most of the legal immigrants work at department stores, mall security, etc. they don't even think the landscaping is a perspective! maybe Walt mart is an option if they are not educated and don't speak English. hey there's good news! the Country will be bankrupted soon and become a third world Class! so it won't be attractive to immigration anymore. yeah!

• Sure it can be done but no-one scores political points that way.

Besides the only ones who actually want to grant blanket amnesty are the Republicans (Who did just that under Reagan), the proposals I have heard coming from the Democrats all put the illegal immigrants at the back of the line but do give them an eventual path to citizenship after they become legal by returning to their home countries and gaining visa's and work permits.

Of course by claiming the Democrats want amnesty then slipping it into the compromise version of immigration reform the Republicans would score political points and still get the amnesty they claim they do not want.

• Nikki
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Yes. States can. But it's time wasting. It's more productive to do as AZ des & do the job the Fed won't do.

And we have too many people here now. With 10% unemployment, it's time to hold off on more immigrants.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Typical Republican. You want to go to court and scream like a tea partying dipstick rather than do the one real thing that would stop illegal immigration--lock up the the people who employ illegal immigrants.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I think we are soon to find out.

Keep fighting the good fight, AZ!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.