Names with "borrowed" nicknames?

Our son is name Julius, but we're planning to call him Jude as a nickname. Jude, of course, is technically a separate name, but it could work as a nickname for Julius (both because of the "Ju" sound and because "Hey Jude" was written for a boy named Julian).

I've noticed I like a lot of names that have this quality -- a longer first name with a shorter or informal nickname that historically belongs to a different name. Examples:

Elliot (nickname Lio/Leo, which is an unrelated name)

Gideon (nickname Eon/Ian, which is a Scottish form of John)

Beatrice (nickname Betty/Betsy, which both belong to Elisabeth)

Persephone (nickname Penny, which was originally from Penelope)

Margaret (nickname Molly, which originally came from Mary)

Aurora (nickname Rory, which is technically an Irish boys' name)

Can you think of any other names to add to this list? What other names could have nicknames that are "borrowed" from a different name?

Favorite Answer

I've heard a few. I don't love all these names, but I included all that I could think of.

-Gregory with the nickname Grey instead of Greg (suggested by another user)

-Genevieve with the nicknames Neve or Vivi (the first is the name of a friend, the second I just like; -Neve from Irish Naimh and Vivi from Vivian.)

-Margaret with the nickname "Pearl", as Margaret means "pearl".

-Miriam with the nickname "Mira". Miriam is related to Mary, whereas Mira is the latin for "amazement" and shows up in Miranda.

-Arthur with the nickname Thor (a friend's son, who is a very big baby; Thor was a Scandinavian god who was very strong.)

-Marina/Merina (not sure which spelling the person used) with the nickname Mina (from Wilhelmina).

-Nathaniel with the nickname Tate. I always thought Tate was an accepted nickname for Nathaniel, but behind the name says otherwise. I suppose Tate is more expected as a nickname for Tatum.

-Veronica with the nickname Nicky (a friend's name). The -ica part in Veronica comes from a different Greek root than the "Nic-" in names like Nicole.

-Louise, Louisa, Heloise, Eloise with the nickname Lucy. ( I particularly like Louisa and Lucy but don't care for Lucinda or Lucille.)

-Maddox (from Welsh Madoc) with the nickname Max, originally for such Latin names as Maximus, Maximilien, Maxentius etc. "Max" does show up in Welsh in names like Maxwell though.)

-Romilly with the nickname Lily.

-Calliope with the nickname Poppy (name of another y!a user's daughter)

-Silvia with the nicknames Liv or Livy, which are unrelated. (Silvia means "of the forest", while Livy comes from a Latin term for envy or the color blue)

-Vivian with the nickname Annie (the -an in Vivian is unrelated to the name Anne.)

-Charles with the nickname Arlo (my husband's uncle is a Charles Jr. and he's had the nickname Arlo since he was a child.)

Nicknames are good - as long as they're not made about something the child may take as an insult - such as a describing nickname about some way they act etc. (make sense?!) But a nickname made up from their name - or something that would make them feel empowered - is great. ie - 'Champ' (short for champion) would be good / 'Shorty' could be taken as bad (they may like it - but you have to be careful). I never call my firstborn her full real name (except when maybe she's in trouble!!! lol) - I've always shortened it. But that's her official name on documents - and she knows it. Their were reasons behind her names - and she also knows them. They are her names to know and use as she feels fit. I would hope that adoptive parents would honour the names that adoptees already hold when they come to their new family. (which I know - without a doubt - that you willl) Same would go for any child really. It's not just an adoptee thing. In Australia - we shorten everyone's names - except if it's a one syllable name - then we lengthen it - usually with a 'y' on the end. (ie my bro is John - always called Johnny)

• I use Sev as a nickname for Joseph because of the sound seph makes. The only name I can think of that would have Sev as a nickname is Severus. Also I sometimes use Mel as a nickname for EmMELine, when it would usually belong to Melody or Melanie.

Others:

Les for Charles, when its usually used for Leslie

Mac for Cameron (Mac is Cam spelled backwards) when its usually used for Mackenzie or someone with a Mac___ last name.

I love unusual nicknames, so I love borrowed nicknames as well. I think Jude would be a darling nickname for Julius, but as you probably know the nickname really depends on what suits the child.

Anne Marie (nickname Ame, originally from Amy)

Annabella (nickname Anne, originally from Anet )

Alice (nickname Ally, originally from the male name Alexander)

Katherine (nickname Ate from Athena)

Well I've given my favorite girl name right now a "borrowed" nickname - Charlotte "Carly".

I think it could work.

Also:

Madeleine "Lainey"/"Lenny" - Not sure how well this could work. It might be better on Madelaine.

Elizabeth "Lily"

My sister, Stephanie, used to FORCE us to call her Annie (stephANIE) from pretty much the time she could talk until she was about 7 or 8. It eventually wore off, but I think it worked.. Now we call her Stevie sometimes

:)

• Though it's often used as a nickname, my daughter Evangeline is called Evie. We also often call my daughter Alice, Allie. They're nicknames that we've come up with and decided to call them, but I guess they can be considered a "borrowed" nickname-as they might now be the common nickname used for their names :)

Esme for Elizabeth/Elisabeth. Esme is usually a nickname for Esmerelda. It is a bit of a stretch but I think it can be a nickname for Elizabeth/Elisabeth. Elizabeth/Elisabeth has two Es and so does Esme.

Charlie for Charlotte. Charlie originally came from Charles.

Cecily / Emily - nn Lily

Cecilia - nn Celia (Celia comes from the Roman family name, Caelius, meaning heaven, and Cecilia comes from the Roman family name Caecilius, meaning blind)

Antonia - nn Anya, Annie, Anna or Nia

Amelia - nn Mia,Mia usually comes from Maria(http://www.behindthename.com/name/mia)

Elodie / Melody - nn Lottie, usually short form of Charlotte

Saskia - nn Sasha, male Russian diminutive **

Anastasia - nn Sasha, Tansy (a flower)

Victoria - Vita, means life

Evangeline - Eve / Lina (Eve comes from Hebrew)

Cornelia - Nell (comes from Helen, in ancient Rome, Cornelia was pronounced core-NELL-ee-uh)

Alexandra - Xanthe, from Greek meaning yellow **

Tatiana - Anya

Marina - Minnie, Mina **

Milena - Mina

Alice - Lizzie, from Elizabeth **

Olivia - Libby

Louisa - Lucy

Esme / Esmeralda - Emmy / Em, from Emily

Dorothy - Rory

Isabella / Isabelle - Sable **

Juliet - Judy, from Judith **

Violet - nn Vivie from Vivian

Quintina - nn Quinn (Quinn means fifth in Latin and Quinn is its own Irish name)

Georgia - Rory, Gia (Italian short form of Georgia)

Iris - nn Issy / Izzy, from Isabella **

Rosanna - nn Zanna, usually from Susanna **

Johanna - Josie

Tabitha - Betsy / Beth / Biddy, from Elizabeth

Amity - nn Amy

Starred ones are my favorite / most creative.

edit: Elsie for Eloise, which comes from Elisabeth

edit again: Esther, nickname Tess is one I've been thinking about for a while. I'm not sure if it works. I go it by taking the "Es" part and then putting the T that comes after it in front.

Alexis (Boy) - Nickname Alec, which is a nickname for Alexander. Nickname Sasha, Russian pet name for Alexander.

Chloe (Girl) - Nickname Cleo, a nickname for Cleopatra.

Annabel (Girl) - Nickname Anya, a Russian nickname for Anastasia.

Verity (Girl) - Nickname Vera, a separate name.

I'm going to type a sentence to help me clarify what exactly you are looking for. It would be as if someone introduced themselves as such:

"My name is ________. You might be surprised to hear that it's short for ________."

Della -- Assumed to be short for Adele, I would prefer this for Madeleine.

Brissy -- I like this nickname for Ambrosia where most would probably link it to Brisa.

Here are a few more:

Lety -- short for Scarlett or Charlotte (a Hispanic woman's name on its own)

Sonny -- short for Harrison (can be a name on its own)

Lisa, Belle, & Liesel -- short for Elizabeth (names on their own; Belle is associated with Isobel)

Maddy -- short for Matilda (generally associated with Madeleine)

Tia -- short for Anastasia, Christina, Natalia, Talia(na), or Felicity

Seth -- short for Sebastian (and I completely made this one up. I like it though!)

Lola & Izzy -- short for Eloisa (associated with Delores/Charlotte and Isobel, respectively)

Micah -- short for Michael (though it's a name on its own)

Tess -- short for Theresa

I'll edit if I think of more!