MBL
MBL asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

What are your team's "pleasant surprises" this year?

For the Braves it would be our great bench and Jonny Venters, a relief rookie pitcher. What about your team?

I wasn't that surprised by Prado. I was a huge fan even when he was on the bench! He's having a great year. Go BRAVES

Favorite Answer

The impact Darnell McDonald and Daniel Nava have had on the outfield. With so many injuries, these 2 players who never gave up through hardships (McDonald was sent around several organizations. Nava went into high school 4-foot-8, washed uniforms for college teams, kicked out of Santa Clara University, accepted back, went in independent league, kicked out, got back and was the MVP, and then signed with the Red Sox for $1). Who would have guessed these guys would mean so much to the Sox this season?

Also, the pitching by Lester and Buchholz has been great. Same with Daniel Bard.

• Big D

Vlad Guerrero and Josh Hamilton. Coming of rough 2009 campaigns, both Hamilton and Guerrero have had All-Star caliber seasons and are serious candidates for Comeback Player of the Year and both of them went through issues that raised a lot of concern. When Vlad was hurt most of last year, the organization and fans were questioning Vlad's abilities and believed that he had his best years behind him and that he was on the decline. It got so ugly to the point that the Angels ended up letting him go and now he's proved them with what he's done with Texas. Hamilton, on the other hand, went into a relapse that plagued his 2009 season, coupled with some abrupt injuries. But he has responded to the media criticism and past in a big way this season, including a 24-game hitting streak that was recently snapped.

The way the Braves built their team in the offseason, I can't say I'm surprised at how good they're doing. If there is any surprise at all, I'd say it would be Troy Glaus. The Braves got him at a bargain price and is now leading the team in HR and is in the top 10 in the NL in RBI.

I suppose Jonny Venters would be a surprise: he currently sports a 1.21 ERA in 37.1 IP while sporting a 3.99 ERA in 270.2 minor league IP.

I'm a Braves fan as well.

I really thought Prado was going to be batting around 300. at the all- star break. But he is batting 340. And is on pace for around 220 hits!. And he leads the NL in runs. I think the Braves have found their future leadoff man.

I am just also surprised the Braves are in 1st place. And ahead of Philly by 5 games!. Hudson has impressed me as well..

Go Braves!

Source(s): Braves Fan
  • Nate D

My team was pleasantly...not surprised...maybe "reassured" that we're 2 for 2 on mega-prospects which started with Hanson last year and continues through Anaheim this year with Heyward.

Glaus. His slump started on the exact same day as Heyward's. No coincidence a 4-hitter needs a 2-guy on base if he's gonna be productive.

Hudson. Has never been this masterful as the Ace in our uni. Never.

Oh wait, you mean OTHER teams?? I thought you just used Prado to lead things off for the rest of us...

Yankees

Brett Gardner, everyone knew he could run and play great defense but nobody has expected him to do what he has at the plate.

Phill Hughes, I never in a million years thought he would be an all-star.

Nick Swisher, Swish was good last year but he has been playing even better this year.

Francisco Cervelli, he has really stepped up as the catcher. His defense is amazing and he has been hitting pretty well.

• Elle

I'm a Phillies fan. No pleasant surprises here ... actually, no I take that back. Dane Sardinha has been fun to watch while all our catchers are hurt. And Wilson Valdez has somehow morphed into Babe Ruth after being a sure 2 outs in the beginning of the year (I say 2 outs b/c he used to GIDP all the time, lol).

Other than that, I'm kind of in hell with my team :(

For the Reds I'd have to say Johnny Gomes and Mike Leake are the two biggest suprises. Add that with Arthur Rhodes in the bullpen and Scott Rolen putting up career numbers at 36 years old.

• .

Giants: Aubrey Huff, Andres Torres, Barry Zito, & Santiago Casilla.

• Greg

Alex Rios for the White Sox, absolutely.

Everyone dumped on KW for picking him up last year, and I did a little bit too. I had too little faith in the guy and man is he delivering. Sergio Santos has been a very pleasant surprise as well...

But of course it's balanced by the giant suckhole being made by Gordon Beckham...