Job outlook for Environmental engineering in 6 years?

i was wondering what is the outlook for environmental engineers in around 5-7 years. it seems as if now everyone is majoring in it and there will end up being few jobs in my generation

Favorite Answer

I agree - too many people may be taking this degree right now.

Please allow me to mark your question as interesting.

Did you know that Petroleum Engineering is the most in demand degree right now?

The starting pay is almost double for environmental.

It's a gamble - something fun to research.

There will always be tires and plastics - made out of petroleum.

Engineering management might also be high in demand.

/

There are a lot of engineering fields that relate to green and renewable energy. And an engineering field does not have to be "new" to contain new information - engineering is changing constantly. That said, here are some good options and what they would actually do with renewable energy: Civil - creates the infrastructure Electrical - improves the efficiency of electrical sources Mechanical - creates new power sources (energy comes from motion) Aerospace - makes turbines for wind energy, understands fluid dynamics for ocean energy collection Ocean - works on ocean energy collection All engineering fields have pretty good job prospects. Civil, Electrical, and Mechanical are the most common of the ones I listed, so they are slightly less vulnerable to the ups and downs of specific industries. Aerospace and Ocean are a little more specialized (so they can be vulnerable to the ups and downs of specific industries), but they also tend to make a little more money.

• Bear

I was on the tail end of the enviromental tech boom in the 70's by the time I graduated the goverment was not hiring and private business hadn't started hiring thier own ppl yet as a result I have never worked in my field. I think if I had been looking more broadly (at private industry) It would have been a different storey . Good Luck go to all the related "job fairs" that you can