Emancipation of a Minor in Pennsylvania?

I'm a 16 year old girl looking to legally emancipate myself. In short, my current environment is not conductive to a healthy adolescense. I know that I could thrive if I were in an environment I was more in control of. What do I need to know/do to achieve emancipation? Any accurate information is welcome!

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Pennsylvania's emancipation laws are set by the county. Each county has different rules about it and not all of them offer emancipation. However, for the ones that do, the child who wants to be emancipated has to be at least 16 years old and a resident of Pennsylvania. The minor must prove he or she is capable of financially supporting themselves. The child cannot be a ward of the state at the time of request for emancipation. One additional note, the child has to have parental support before he or she can become emancipated.

    You should know that less than 1% of minors who file for emancipation are actually granted it. As the other person indicated, you must prove that you are emotionally and financially able to provide for your sole support (rent, food, utilities, transportation, insurance, medical care) without any help from anyone else or any type of state aid. And, you have to stay in school and complete your high school education. Few minors are able to get jobs that pay a sufficient amount to be totally self supporting and stay in school.

    If you are being abused, you should call child protective services. They will investigate and if your case has merit, they will remove you from your home and place you in foster care. You can leave when you are 18.


  • gma
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    The link below addresses your question about emancipation of a minor in PA.


    In Pennsylvania, there is no general emancipation statute which explains procedures to follow to become emancipated.

    A minor should get legal assistance when asking a court for a judicial decree of emancipation.

    A court finding of emancipation is not necessarily permanent. A minor’s legal status may move in and out of emancipation depending on the facts at the time.

  • U Mad?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Not liking where you live isn't even grounds to be placed in foster care.

    To be emancipated, you have to be able to support yourself financially. Not partially, COMPLETELY.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.