Ethernet Crossover cable?

I want to buy Ethernet crossover cable to connect my desktop to laptop in order to send bunch of data across.

Are there different kinds of crossover cables? I just want a standard one. I was looking on ebay and they have:

7FT 350MHz CrossOver Cat5e Cable in Gray - System Link


Item image

7 Foot Cat 6 Ethernet Crossover Cable

what is 350Mhz do? is there better? Cat5e? System Link?

what is Cat 6?


2 Answers

  • 10 years ago

    ANY crossover cable will be fine for you. Any cable that hits the shelf will perform the same. Cat6 is a higher spec, but irrelevant for short distances in a typical home environment. Especially just from a laptop to a desktop the cheapest one will do fine.

  • 10 years ago

    Most computers made after 2000 do not require such a cable, a plain ethernet cable should work.

    The best way to do it is to assign one computer with the IP of "", however, this is not required either. plug directly with an ethernet cable, then wait. It should sit "aquiring IP" wich will eventualy fail, and be assigned a Private IP, then you should be able to connect to each other. if you need to know how to transfer files, post another question, or message me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.