Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 10 years ago

Would you be able to handle "picking up the pieces" after a plane crash?

What would that do to you as a person? Would it forever change who you are? How would you cope with something like that and how would you want the people close to you to help you cope?

Favorite Answer

I have picked up after a plane crash and even the most seasoned accident investigators puke at the sight of these events.

"picking up the pieces" is a very apt description of the aftermath of a plane crash. The accident that I attended was a Cessna 172 that had flown into a forested area in the fog. Of the four young men on board I knew three of them because the aircraft was from the private strip that I worked at. The largest piece of aircraft we recovered was the engine crankcase and the largest piece of human remains we recovered was a 1/2 a jawbone.

And this was a crash were there was no fire or explosion; the plane and the occupants were simply shredded and obliterated.

The hardest part was when I accompanied the Police officer to inform the one young lads mother of his passing as she was a close family friend.

How does one cope? At that time in my life I drank. And after the accident I drank a lot more until I sought professional counselling. I can't speak for the Government inspectors on scene but some of my coworkers refused to ever attend another one of these incidents and some left the flying industry. I also left the flying fraternity for about 20 years. I have since returned to flying privately but I have never sought out a pilots license.

It would be hard but honestly, it would be like any death--difficult and a long road to recover.

For coping, well, its different for everyone. Personally, I have no idea since no one I know has died. So. Yeah.

Yes. Ultimately make me tougher. Yes. I would adopt the good old British 'Blitz spirit' and just get on with it & just be there for me.

I'd be able to "pick of the pieces" if I lived, certainly!