Is it Dangerous to Swim in the Hudson/East Rivers?

Hello all,

I've been a lifelong Manhattan resident, and have always wanted to swim in the Hudson and East Rivers. I went to Roosevelt Island (Island between Manhattan and Long Island City, Queens) recently, and there was actually a shallow place where I can go in for a dip.

The question is, is it safe? Not like, "the water is dirty safe", I don't care about that, but will the currents cause me to drown? Or are they, in reality, not that strong? Also, can you kayak on the rivers? Thanks for the info.

• Joseph
    Best Answer

The current in both Hudson and East River is very strong, especially past Roosevelt Island and at Hell's Gate. But even past the Brooklyn Navy Yard, the current can move ar 4-5 knots. I've seen many small craft barely making any headway against this currents, some were even getting swept backwards.

About 10-12 years ago two guys set out from Greenpoint to swim across the East River. They made it across to Manhattan, but could not find a place to get out of the river, because it's all sea wall along the FDR Drive.

So they tried to swim back to Brooklyn. The current carried them down all the way to the Brooklyn Navy Yard. One guy managed to catch a ladder and climb onto a dock at the Red Hook Wastewater Treatment Plant, while the other got swept under a barge docked at the Hudson Street power plant and drowned.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Hello all,

The question is,...

Source(s): dangerous swim hudson east rivers: https://biturl.im/NB7Ov

East River Pollution