Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Wicca: The Religion, What is Wicca?

I am incredibly interested in this religion, but I don't think I truly understand. I understand the concept of the Goddess and how she takes many forms (i.e Maiden, Mother Crone) and I understand the God and his purpose. I don't get the herbs, candles, sabbaths and worship. I don't understand the process of a rituals and spell casting. What is the three fold law really? How do you cast a ritual and what are the steps? What are certain herbs and candle colors good for? What is the difference between pagan and wiccan? Are there different times of wiccan sub religions? Can you explain the true reason for each sabbath and how to celebrate them? Anybody with experience with this religion please help. Also, what are some good sites with infomation on this religion? Good books? Etc...

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

Wicca is an eclectic religious belief system centering around gods, goddesses, and nature worship. Gary Cantrell, a well-known Wiccan author says Wicca is based on "harmony with nature and all aspects of the god and goddess divinity."1 Wiccan practice involves the manipulation of nature through various rituals in attempts to gain power, prestige, love, or whatever else a Wiccan wants. It uses symbols in its ceremonies and follows the calendar in reference to Wiccan festivals. Its roots are in ancient agrarian Celtic Society. It is considered Neo-Pagan (based on old European and pre-Christian belief systems). Wicca does not have a structure of clergy and/or congregations. But it does have priests and priestesses which are in leadership positions within covens that have witches. The varying traditions of Wicca have different requirements for attaining the level of priest and priestess. Some of the more common varieties of Wicca are 1734, Alexandrian, Celtic, Dianic, Dicordian, Eclectic, Gardnerian, and Georgian. Wicca is even recognized as a religion in the military.

http://www.carm.org/religious-movements/wicca/what...

If you're a Wiccan, please read this

http://www.carm.org/religious-movements/wicca/if-y...

Source(s): TLS
  • 10 years ago

Herbs: Herbs are used in cooking and rituals, and can influence different moods and such.

Candles: Candles represent the 5 elements (Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Spirit) and the Goddess Diana and The Sun God Lugh

The Sabbats are the Wiccan Holidays, and are as Follows:

Samhain: October 31- Wiccan 'New Year' In a way, celebrated by honoring ancestors and banishing negative Spirits

Yule (Winter Solstice)- Celebrates the rebirth of the Sun God Lugh and The Moon Goddess Diana becoming Mother Crone and retreating to her slumber

Candlemas (February 1) Celebrates the ending of winter, the Goddes reawakens from her slumber.

Ostara (Spring Equinox) This Sabbat is all about fertility

Beltaine (May 1)- The Wiccan Day of Love

Litha-(Summer Solstice) A time of celebration

August Eve-( August 1) An Autumn Festival

Harvest Home (September 21) The second fall holiday. A day of peaceful observation

Worship: Worship can be as complex as a daily ritual or as simple as thanking the God and Goddess for the given day. If possible, rituals should be practiced on the sabbats.

Threefold Law: Any wrongdoing/good you do to someone will come back to you 3 times the amount it affected them.

A Wiccan (usually) practices witchcraft and is a member of a coven, while a Pagan does not. (usually)

Most books by Scott Cunningham are good. Stay away from Silver Ravenwolf.

Blessed Be )O(

-Mason

• MSB
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Herbs-- used for making incense, teas, etc., that are believed to act on the brain to evoke different moods or to lend their specific energies to the ritual.

Candles-- traditional in most religious ceremonies. a good source of atmosphere lighting.

Sabbats-- the 8 Wiccan "holidays"-- known as the Wheel of the year. The meaning of the sabbats have many layers, they reflect the cycles of nature, the cycles of our lives and the cycles of Divinity. Waaaayyyy too much to go into here.

A good place to learn more in detail about them is squidoo.com/wheeloftheyear

Worship-- like any other religion. We believe in a Higher Power (God & Goddess)... therefore we worship. We give thanks. We pray. We seek guidance. We reflect on our beliefs.

Ritual Structure- can vary depending upon the group or person. Usual it involves cleansing and preparing yourself/space, casting a circle (a barrier marking the sacred space), consecrating the tools and supplies, invoking the elements/quarters, invoking Goddes and/or God, observance based on the occasion which may include readings, meditations, seasonal enactments, stories, or other spiritual activities and exercises, maybe a spell, meditation, "simple feast" (type of communion) and libation, then closing it all by thanking God/dess, quarters, breaking the circle, etc.

Pagan is an umbrella term for many different religions.

Wiccan is one specific religion that falls under the Pagan umbrella. It is a reconstruction / reinvention of Northern European Pagan religions and the practice of Witchcraft, heavily influenced by things like Freemasonry, ceremonial magic & Eastern philosophy. It is something of a "patchwork" religion.

Wicca has many different traditions, or "trads" but groups (or individuals) are autonomous. There is no higher church.

Good sites:

wicca.timerift.net

witchvox.com

Good books:

Just about anything by Gerald Gardner, Doreen Valiente, Viviane Crowley, Janet & Stewart Farrar, Raymond Buckland, Scott Cunningham or Ronald Hutton.

Might I suggest next time breaking the questions down into individual questions... all of these questions would require involved answers.

Source(s): Nearly 20 years being Wiccan
  • 10 years ago

Actually, the correct term is "Sabbats." Wiccans follow a solar and a lunar calandar. We celebrate 8 holidays, or Sabbats, during the year that celebrate the solar cycle, or the God and the changes of the earth's seasons. Esbats are the Lunar holidays where we celebrate the Goddess on the Full Moon. Rituals are how we celebrate these holidays, by giving thanks to Deity.

Herbs and candles are used during ritual. A few good websites on these topics are:

http://www.controverscial.com/Candle%20Corresponde...

http://www.wiccaspirit.net/v1is4/index_pg6.htm

Wicca is a Pagan religion. So, wiccans are pagans, but there are many other pagan religions as well. Druids, shammans, Asatru (nordic type stuff), egyptian worship are types of pagan religions.

read this:

http://wicca.timerift.net/wicca101/index.shtml

good luck!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

@Martin's post was pretty good up until that preachy endquote.

This is probably the best Web-based information on Wicca that you are going to find. The writer/blogger is a Wiccan and University Prof. who studies and writes on modern paganism: Wicca for the Rest of Us at http://wicca.timerift.net/

If you want REAL information about Wicca and modern Paganism, read the work of Prof Ronald Hutton. If you want to read popular literature and buy into the myth, then read Buckland, etc.. It is full of inaccuracies and tall tales but most practitioners don't care.

Wicca is not an ancient Celtic religion. Eclectic modern paganism, especially in the US, is now called "Wicca" and adopts many of its affectations, such as circle casting, quarter calling, and rituals using the elements and ritual tools. Wicca was developed by Gerald Gardner during the 1950s. He cobbled it together from his interests in Thelema, ceremonial magick, Freemasonry, and questionable anthropological work of Margaret Murray and Charles Leland. He also picked up on ideas developed in the 19th century that romanticized nature worship and ideas about European rural folk culture and shamanism. People began to meet in "covens," claiming that this was an ancient, secret happening. It wasn't; folk people met as communities, but folk magic practitioners, on the other hand, kept to themselves in Old Europe. Their magick also generally had to do with identifying and repelling "witches"; not identifying themselves as witches.

Wiccans commemorate a God and Goddess who represent Nature and the Life Cycle. Metaphorically, the Moon (Goddess) and the Sun (God). The Goddess is identified with Lunar goddesses and the God with horned Nature Gods (namely the minor Celtic god Cernunnos). Wiccans celebrate --either actually or symbolically--the joining of the God and Goddess, which produces life. This is done on the full moons and sometimes the New Moons as well. They adhere to the Wheel of the Year, which are seasonal festivals occurring thoughout the year and based in agrarian lore. The holidays (or "Sabats") of the wheel of the year are not Celtic holidays exactly, but a mix of major and minor festival days from Celtic, Teutonic, and Welsh folk culture.

Traditional Wicca is an initiatic mystery religion--meaning, that you are initiated into progressive stages and must keep vows of secrecy in regard to some things that are taught. Most Wiccan groups in the US are "eclectic" and diverge a lot from traditional Gardnerian Wicca.

• 10 years ago

1.Wicca doesn't have a specific way of practicing

2.You don't need to do rituals (unless you want to)

3.Spells are part of witchcraft. Witchcraft is a practice. Some Wiccans practice it and others don't (you can practice witchcraft even in other beliefs)

4.Some herbs are for healing, others for protection..etc.etc.

5.Wicca is a religion within paganism

6 There are different paths in paganism

Feel free to message me. I'm not Wiccan, I'm pagan. However I know a lot about this religion :)

Source(s): Pagan
  • Lazlo
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

Our most recommend reading to answer your questions are:

Scott Cunningham: "Wicca: A guide for the solitary practitioner,"

Raymond Buckland: "Buckland's complete book of Witchcraft,"

)O(

• 10 years ago

The best thing to do is to find books or a coven (if you like) to teach you, for what is recommended as a year and a day (the "day" thing has a lot to do w/ time as it was understood in the past), and a good site to help you along your path: witchvox.com

Happy hunting and Blessed Be

_()_

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

1) Ignore the fundies saying you’ll go to hell and are opening yourself up to demons. They don’t believe in either.

2) Get the book: Wicca, a Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham (Amazon.com used books is a great resource)

3) Avoid Silver Ravenwolf, DJ Conway and most Llewellyn books

4) Do NOT pay for lessons over the internet. You can’t ask for references. Do NOT give out personal information to anyone over the internet. Get a PO Box.

5) www.witchvox.com http://wicca.timerift.net

6) Learn and keep learning about various paths in paganism.

7) get the book: "Drawing Down the Moon" by Margo Adler (an older book that's a little dated, especially concerning Asatru but a good resource) - it gives an overview on a lot of pagan traditions.

8) I’m not a good resource beyond these suggestions. I not a Wiccan.

credit to Aravah with change ups

Source(s): Lightning and other Xtian dude - keep your prejudices and hate speech to yourselves
  • 10 years ago

This the best basic ebook I have read to this day. If you want an accurate and very basic understanding of WIcca, you must read this.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6737425/Maiden-Moon-Wicc...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.