Why is the Karate Kid (2010) movie called "Karate Kid" when...?

Jackie Chan's character taught Jaden Smith's character kung fu instead of karate? To me, kung fu and karate are totally different from each other.

...Just a question that my friend asked me and I was like "Idk..."

=)

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

Because it's very similar to the original movie "The Karate Kid". I think it's supposed to be a remake...

• L
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

The 2010 version is based in China where Kung Fu originated. Karate is from Japan.

• It's called the Kung Fu Kid in China but I'm pretty sure they called it the "Karate Kid" because if they didn't Americans would just say they were ripping off of "The Karate Kid" really when they were just doind a remake.

• Lola
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Because Kung Fu Kid sounds weird.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Janis
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Because "The Kung Fu Kid" wouldn't be recognized and like The Tank said, they want to milk The Karate Kid franchise.

• AJ
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

well in the original karate kid the "crane" move that the kid did at the end of the movie was also kung fu

• 10 years ago

I AGREE!!! i never saw it so maybe there is a reason...but it seems to be about Kung Fu, they're in China not Japan, also is Jackie Chan's character called Mr. Miyagi? if so that's a Japanese name and it wouldn't make sense for him to be called that if he's Chinese...oy

• 10 years ago

Because its a remake of the 1984 karate kid.

• 10 years ago

i have know clue. it should have been called the kung fu kid instead.

• 10 years ago

because it doesn't sounds good when you say "kung fu kid"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.