Why is the Karate Kid (2010) movie called "Karate Kid" when...?

Jackie Chan's character taught Jaden Smith's character kung fu instead of karate? To me, kung fu and karate are totally different from each other.

...Just a question that my friend asked me and I was like "Idk..."

=)

Best Answer

Because it's very similar to the original movie "The Karate Kid". I think it's supposed to be a remake...

• L

The 2010 version is based in China where Kung Fu originated. Karate is from Japan.

• It's called the Kung Fu Kid in China but I'm pretty sure they called it the "Karate Kid" because if they didn't Americans would just say they were ripping off of "The Karate Kid" really when they were just doind a remake.

• Lola

Because Kung Fu Kid sounds weird.

• Janis

Because "The Kung Fu Kid" wouldn't be recognized and like The Tank said, they want to milk The Karate Kid franchise.

• AJ

well in the original karate kid the "crane" move that the kid did at the end of the movie was also kung fu

I AGREE!!! i never saw it so maybe there is a reason...but it seems to be about Kung Fu, they're in China not Japan, also is Jackie Chan's character called Mr. Miyagi? if so that's a Japanese name and it wouldn't make sense for him to be called that if he's Chinese...oy

Because its a remake of the 1984 karate kid.

i have know clue. it should have been called the kung fu kid instead.

because it doesn't sounds good when you say "kung fu kid"