Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 10 years ago

Can you get a passport if you have an arrest record, but have never been convicted?

The charges were dismissed, but the arrests for each case still shows on background check. I have to turn in request to expunge the arrrest records next week. I was also just released off probation (early termination), but my probation sentence still shows on background. Can I just provided the probation discharge paperwork for the passport?


can I just provide is what I meant to say : )

Thanks for all the help...

Update 2:

I was not convicted of any charges. It's just the arrest that shows. I just completed a request to expunge the arrest. Thanks!

Update 3:

The charges were dismissed and I completed the probation is what I was trying to say. So now the arrest record is the only thing that shows.

13 Answers

  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    In essence, prior criminal record has little to do with your right to travel. Allow me to explain:

    1. Travel Within the U.S. is a Constitutional Right

    The nature of the federal union and of constitutional concepts of personal liberty unite to require that all citizens be free to travel throughout the length and breadth of the United States uninhibited by statutes, rules, or regulations that unreasonably burden or restrict this movement. Memorial Hospital v. Maricopa County, 415 U.S. 250, 94 S. Ct. 1076, 39 L. Ed. 2d 306 (1974).

    The constitutional right to travel between states implies a correlative constitutional right to travel within a state, and the right of intramunicipal travel, as a basic human right. See also, Shapiro v. Thompson 394 U.S. 618, 89 S.CT. 1322, 22 L.Ed.2d 600 (1969)

    2. Travel Outside the U.S. is Also a Constitutional Right

    The right to travel is not restricted to travel within the country, but extends as well to travel outside the jurisdiction of the United States. U.S. v. Laub, 385 U.S. 475, 87 S. Ct. 574, 17, 17 L. Ed. 2d 526 (1967); Aptheker v. Secretary of State, 378 U.S. 500, 84 S. Ct. 1659, 12 L. Ed. 2d 992 (1964); Kent v. Dulles, 357 U.S. 116, 78 S. Ct. 1113, 2 L. Ed. 2d 1204 (1958).

    Now, if you are on probation or parole, the above may not apply since you are in the 'custody' of the state and the state may place certain conditions, e.g. not leave the state, on you if they correlate to your crime. However, your question relates only to having a former conviction and not being on probation or parole.

    Darren Chaker

    Source(s): United States. U.S. v. Laub, 385 U.S. 475, 87 S. Ct. 574, 17, 17 L. Ed. 2d 526 (1967); Aptheker v. Secretary of State, 378 U.S. 500, 84 S. Ct. 1659, 12 L. Ed. 2d 992 (1964); Kent v. Dulles, 357 U.S. 116, 78 S. Ct. 1113, 2 L. Ed. 2d 1204 (1958).
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago


    Source(s): Criminal Record Search Database :
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Howard
    Lv 4
    3 years ago


    Source(s): Instant Telephone Reverse
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Alison
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    Get a No Cost Background Check Scan at

    Its a sensible way to start. The site allows you to do a no cost scan simply to find out if any sort of data is in existence. A smaller analysis is done without cost. To get a detailed report its a modest payment.

    You may not realize how many good reasons there are to try and find out more about the people around you. After all, whether you're talking about new friends, employees, doctors, caretakers for elderly family members, or even significant others, you, as a citizen, have a right to know whether the people you surround yourself with are who they say they are. This goes double in any situation that involves your children, which not only includes teachers and babysitters, but also scout masters, little league coaches and others. Bottom line, if you want to find out more about someone, you should perform a background check.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

    The absolutely free background check sites generally provide the most basic of information, such as name, age and address. To get further information, money will have to be paid. The free searches do not provide much more than what can be found through the phone book or personal knowledge. It's impossible to get a free background check.

    Stay away from shady background check sites, most likely you won't get any information after you make the payment. Not to mention you won't get a report and you won't get an answer if you try to call for a refund. Stick with a reputable background check site like that has been around since 1999. If I remember right it's $19 for a full report.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    In the source you can find the best option to get criminal records. It is important to keep in mind that a free background check on the Internet will only take you so far and also that some companies may only update their information periodically therefore you may be looking at information that is no longer relevant (such as an address for example). Before beginning a search on someone else consider doing one on yourself to see what information you come across. Is the information accurate or not?

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    Any citizen can get a passport. It's a form of government issued ID, not a concealed weapons permit. Someone could murder 500 people and get a passport when (if) they got out of jail.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

    eVerify allows you to perform reverse lookups using email addresses, landlines, and unlisted numbers. will also provide you with access to background records, so that you can obtain instant background checks, including criminal history, bankruptcy reports, and public records. Civil records, such as births, divorces, marriages, and other legal information, are also accessible via this site.

    eVerify - Trust but Verify:

    Once you become a member at eVerify, you will enjoy:

    • Unrestricted access to search results.

    • Unlimited people searches.

    • Over 10 billion records at your fingertips!

    • Instant lookups and accurate reports.

    • Get data directly from sources.

    • Fast & discreet investigative privileges!

    Members have access to all of the following records and more as they become available:

    • Background Reports

    • Business Records

    • Birth Records

    • Criminal Records

    • Reverse Phone

    • Reverse Address

    • Reverse Email

    • Marriage Records

    • Divorce Records

    • SSN Records

    • Death Records

    • Police Records

    • Employee Checks

    • Address Verification

    • Property Records

    • People Search

    • Address Search

    • Public Records

    • Inmate Locator

    • And More...

    Registration is easy at Just visit the registration page to signup for unrestricted access.

    eVerify - Trust but Verify:

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

    We all live in a world were uncertainty follows us wherever we go. Would you like the chance to minimize uncertainty? Be comfortable with your surroundings? Be assured your neighborhood is safe? All of these things can be solved through eVerify, a criminal background check tool. It isn't spying if you are concerned about your safety and your family's safety. You should have the accessibility to find out who is living in your neck of the woods and who is coaching your child's sport team. There is nothing more important than our families

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    Yes, you can get the passport.

    What criminal convictions stop you from getting are visas to travel to certain countries, I think, for example, Canada.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.