Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

What are your best moments and what are your worst moments, and how do your beliefs influence both?

For myself, I don't know that I have any "best" moments, at least not on any regular basis. I did interrupt someone making a very real effort to commit suicide, and, had I been even just a little bit late, they would not be alive. I don't think this is anything special, though; anyone would have done the same in the situation. I think the closest I can come to a "best" moment is any moment where I manage to check my tendency to act out at my worst.

My worst moments are those where I lash out at people, generally when I take my frustrations over my health out on others. As far as how my beliefs influence these times, my Atheism reinforces for me that those times when I am rotten, as well as those times I am not-so-rotten, are all my own responsibility, and the only one who can affect the consequences for my actions are myself. The motivation to make amends is the simple validation of human dignity; my own, that is. When I perhaps act poorly, that is all too human, but to reflect on poor behaviour and recognize that it is not the best, that I have disappointed myself and not lived up to my best self, is also human. Humanity at one of its better times, that is.

Anyway, these are my thoughts in reference to myself and my beliefs. What are your thoughts on those times when you are at your best, and also when you are at your worst, and how do your beliefs reflect on them, and affect them?

Edit: "is myself", not "are." Apologies.

Favorite Answer

Best: Doing something out of love.

Worst: Doing something out of fear.

Best moments: I don't know any really, moments I feel like I've achieved something I can be proud of, or sharing good moments with friends.

Worst: When I'm angry, I speak before I think, and I often say things that are uncalled for and vicious. It's not my best trait, but I am truthful and I acknowledge that it is a flaw.

• I'm at my best when I'm saving life, enjoying Nature and experiencing that oneness of energy with all living things. If I get to save one dragonfly from a pool I'm happy for the rest of the day.

I'm at my worst when I come in contact with people who have no respect for life, or Nature.. but I don't think I'd say that's a bad thing. I cannot and will not stand by while others harm things without reason. I will fight and I will be cruel, unyielding and utterly merciless to my fellow man.. but I could never harm a snake or a bug, or anything. I think it's a struggle for me to cultivate the same compassion for people, mostly I dislike people and I am at my worst when the actions of others bring out that contempt in me for my fellow man. The other day I told my BFs nephew that if he was my kid I would spank his *** raw for throwing rocks at birds and I would have.. if I wouldn't have been subsequently charged with child abuse. But I took him out afterward for a walk in the woods and I showed him how to call chipmunks and he learned a little from me anyway.. but his Dad is a cruel animal killer and that poor kid is doomed to follow in his footsteps.. I am at my worst then when I am defending the helpless.. Nothing can stop me when I am needed to stand in defense of the defenseless. The cruelty that comes out in me then is something fearful to behold.. and I've had grown men fear me for it.

I think my best and worst are a direct result of my beliefs, I know Nature is a harsh mistress without mercy, a beautiful and terrible force that courses through all life. In defense of beauty I will be terrible.. just as Nature is. I believe all life is connected and that what is done to one is done to all.. My beliefs do not allow me to stand by passively while pointless acts with no purpose in Nature are committed, I believe that there is a difference between necessary suffering, and unnecessary cruelty.. I find it a compulsion to fight ignorance wherever I find it and replace it with knowledge... even if that means I have to be necessarily cruel.

As I get older my best moments seem more and more egocentric and narcissistic, I won't bore you.

My worst moments have all been extremely immoral and very illegal.

Life is about choices and I make good and bad ones everyday but I don't do immoral anymore if I can help it.

My physical and spiritual rebirth (not religious) in 94 helped me to make better choices.

RScott

can no longer have faith I lasted to the tip :) i think of you're good on maximum factors, different than that on the tip, you're saying that we are going to evolve much greater and all that, which isn't unavoidably actual, by way of fact the Romans and the Greecs have been way in strengthen whilst in comparison with those comparable populations in the process the middle a while. additionally, progression isn't consistently a sturdy element all around, so i wish that technologies --> waste of the planet's ressources and greed and dependance on capitalism won't develop into lots greater stepped forward than it already is. yet i think of we the two particularly lots think of the comparable way :)

• Anon

My best moments are when I'm proud of myself for who I am, especially when I'm with my girlfriend. I know I'm homosexual, but I'm proud. You religous people can slate me all you like, I've been through enough to not care.

My worst moment was when my parents died last year. Life's been so different ever since, forcing me to doubt religion and God. I think if you go through what I've been through and what I have to go through everyday, then you'll see why I'm an atheist. Please, don't judge me.

Best moments: when my children were born

Worst moments: when I lost someone I loved

All in all, everything is balanced. I never dwell on the bad, I always look at the good side (and there's always something positive to hold on: ALWAYS)

Source(s): Pagan

Best: Learning how to be with people, dealing with my disabilities and learning how to care for others. I enjoy helping people.

Worst: Growing up with fear, anger and isolation and not knowing what do to and whom to trust.

Asatru has helped me establish a moral/ethical base, encouraged me to be more outspoken and strong, and not fear the monotheists nor their god.

Best moments- ..... I can't recall

worse moments- life, Living the days that are getting worse, and worse.. I reckon it being my fault also, which is why it's MY worse moment(s)