Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

beginner motorcycle, sport bike 250cc vs. 600cc?

I am 6'2'' 205lbs. I drive on all roads and want a sport bike. I have very little experience and will not be riding at 100mph on the shoulder. I know that a 250cc is easier to handle and learn how to ride. However, I have heard that it is not smart for a larger person who wants to ride on highways. what are your thoughts? Thank you for the advice.

Favorite Answer

You are thinking about this all wrong.

People are under the impression that Sportbikes are all the same except 250s are for beginners 600s are intermediate and 1000s are for experts. Theres much more too it than that.

Motorcycles are highly specialized tools. A shotgun is for fouling, a .270 for deer hunting, a .45 for defense etc. There are no beginner guns, though there are user friendly ones. Bikes are the same way.

You are looking into R6, 600RR GXS-R, ZX-6R etc right? They are highly focused track tools. You want a fun transportation device. Thats like using an uzi to hunt deer.

Without knowing your proficiency, intended use or budget its hard to make a suggestion.

Look into The Suzuki GS500F and GSX650F.

They are stylish, pretty entertaining, comfortable and frugal.

• Ming

I know this is probably not the answer you wanted, but you should get a USED 250cc to learn on, ride a couple thousand miles on it. Then move on to another bike. The argument has been made over and over again that they want to save money and not have to change bikes, so they start on the one that they end up with. The thing is, there will always be something bigger and better. It'll be a lot easier to learn on a smaller bike and it beats wrecking a new bike. Get used, get 250cc, then after some experience, decide what you are looking for next.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I am 6'2'' 205lbs. I drive on all roads and want a sport bike. I have very little experience and will not be riding at 100mph on the shoulder. I know that a 250cc is easier to handle and learn how to ride. However, I have heard that it is not smart for a larger person who wants to ride...

Source(s): beginner motorcycle sport bike 250cc 600cc: https://biturl.im/oSrFz

Used 250cc Motorcycle

A 600 is not a beginners bike, buy a used 250 and spend whats left on the best riding gear you can find. It's not a question of if you will crash but when. Try to find a good riding school and step up to the 600 when you can ride faster than the 250 can go. Keep the rubber side down.

You are the same weight and height that I am. Sure you can actually ride either, but neither a 250 or 600 sport bike will fit you very well. You need a bigger bike, and you really should start out on (and maybe even stay with) a different style of bike due to your height. Dualsport, standard or cruiser come to mind.

To add onto everybody else's advice, most states don't even let beginners on the highway for their first year. That is, if you plan on keeping your temporaries until their expiration and then getting your endorsement. If you get your endorsement or have already obtained your endorsement through some miracle with no riders experience, I would recommend staying off highways anyways for at least several months until you've built up the necessary skills to manage and controll your bike at that speed.

Start with a small 250. If for whatever reason after 2 months or so you feel it no longer suits you, sell it for what you paid for it (generally fairly easy with the 250s), and invest in a larger bike. Take the MSF BRC or an equivalent training course that teaches you how to ride a motorcycle in general.

Everyday this question get asked.

4 cylinder 600 cc sport bikes are a terrible machine for the beginner. Period.

I too endorse the info on the links below.

Truthfully, you may not be comfortable on any sport bike due to your height. Sport bikes, since they are road racers that happen to be street legal, are quite small and compact. Pegs are close to the seat.

I suggest you take a look at a Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom. V-twin engine for better low and mid range power. Very reliable bike that is available with ABS brakes. ABS brakes are the ticket for a novice rider. Look for a used bike first. Don't know your age, but PLEASE check into insurance rates before signing on the dotted line. Price of premiums on a 600 cc sport bike could shock you.

Good Luck

• Erika

600 Motorcycle

• Tim D

My thought is – it is cheaper and easier to find out with a secondhand 250, which will not depreciate hugely, giving you a reasonable chance of learning how to ride and roadcraft, than it is with a 600 (which, because new models are released every 2-3 years, will depreciate). Once you have the experience and basic skills, sell it and buy a 600, if you think that is where your requirements lay.