Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Is it time to get rid of the FDA?

I cook my food thoroughly so I don't really see why I need them inspecting food for viruses that die on my stove anyway. Why don't we all agree to just cook our food properly and then we can get rid of the FDA, saving taxpayers billions?

• Best Answer

The FDA is very important. America just needs to quit spending our money assininely. I live in columbus ohio and they are spending 77 million on this freaking park and 90 million on street cars when they could just spend it right. And once we lose the fda. the farmers would start to slack on the food and we would all be sick and you forgot about the DRUG part. we would end up having all types of drugs that kill people.

They do more than just inspect the food you buy, they also regulate drugs and make sure if they are dangerous that your doctor has to tell you about the dangers of the medicines they're prescribing you. Cooking your food can't always eliminate the other stuff that can contaminate your food such as toxic pesticides, which is something that the FDA checks your food for. I agree that the FDA does a lot of wasteful things money wise, but to do away with the entire thing would probably cause more harm than good. Just look at all the toxic things imported from china with lead and other crazy stuff if there was no FDA who would recall them? No one, it would just be on the shelves at your store waiting for you to make the mistake and buy it. If you want to save taxpayers money then you should be more worried about all these stimulus bills that are giving all your taxes to other countries and broken banking and financial systems.

Source(s): http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm without the fda this website would not exist and the information it contains would not be available.

The FDA inspects meat product to see if they're infected with parasites like triconella. These parasites burrow themselves in the muscle tissue of animals and must be disposed of. Infected meat doesn't make it to store shelves because of its likeliness of infecting someone.

The FDA also inspects food products for poisons that can't be taken out through cooking.

They regulate many things, including over-the-counter drugs. They're responsible for taking dangerous diet pills off the market. They also control what goes into food and how they are prepared in processing facilities and restaurants. Remember the peanut butter tainted with ecoli? People don't cook store-bought peanut butter at home.

I say that we should abolish the IRS. The U.S. has the most complex tax system in the world. It is also the most expensive and confusing. Even tax lawyers do not know every tax law established. The IRS employs the most people who do nothing but answer phones and file papers. Since there are so many people, a lot of files are lost and never found. We should reform our tax system.

P.S. Please do research before posting questions. Your question is not stupid. "Foolish questions are unasked ones." Now you know. ^^

No, not everything is killed by cooking. The FDA also regulates drugs, cosmetics and many more consumer products. Are people really that short sighted they don't know what history was like before the FDA? Dangerous products, fraudulent-quackery product scams, untested drugs. We need the FDA.

When I watch countless commercials for drugs approved by the FDA that may cause "a fatal event" and 10,000 other serious or life threatening side effects, I tend to think the FDA needs an overhaul. The ones for Viagra etc crack me up. If you have an erection lasting more than 4 hours or lose your vision or hearing, call your doctor immediately (or just roam around your house blind and deaf with a huge hard on).

FDA doesn't do that. They inspect drug and medical device production.

USDA inspects food production, and no, we shouldn't. You say you cook food properly. What about salads, and fruits? You don't cook those. What about eating what someone else cooks and may not do it as well? What about the processed foods you eat?

Nope sorry.

I am very Libertarian and am all for as much PERSONAL freedom as one can realistically have.

On the other hand I don't view any company or business as an individual and don't believe they should share in those freedoms free market sure but regulated and monitored to deliver the safest best products to consumers so we the INDIVIDUAL may have more freedom and less worry.

Cooking doesn't cleanse food of the chemicals the Chinese put into foods we buy from them.

We need to get rid of all those alphabet soup agencies if you ask me. IRS, CIA, FBI, ATF, FDA and especially the EPA.....

• Dale

Yes, give me some of that blackened seafood, it looks great, is that 5W-30?