Vijay asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 10 years ago

Which TV is better LCD or Plasma. Also compare between LG, SONY and PANASONIC.?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

his is a much debated topic and a fun one. When choosing between plasma and LCD TVs, you're actually selecting between two competing technologies, both of which achieve similar features (i.e., ,bright crystal-clear images, super color-filled pictures) and come in similar packages (i.e., 1.5 to 4 inch depth flat screen casing). To complicate the decision-making process further, price and size are two previous considerations that are rapidly becoming non-issues as LCD TVs are now being made in larger sizes and at competing prices with plasma.

Despite their similarities, the two technologies are very different in the way they deliver the image to the viewer.

Plasma technology consists of hundreds of thousands of individual pixel cells, which allow electric pulses (stemming from electrodes) to excite rare natural gases-usually xenon and neon-causing them to glow and produce light. This light illuminates the proper balance of red, green, or blue phosphors contained in each cell to display the proper color sequence from the light. Each pixel cell is essentially an individual microscopic florescent light bulb, receiving instruction from software contained on the rear electrostatic silicon board. Look very closely at a plasma TV and you can actually see the individual pixel cell coloration of red, green, and blue bars. You can also see the black ribs which separate each.

Whether spread across a flat-panel screen or placed in the heart of a projector, all LCD displays come from the same technological background. A matrix of thin-film transistors (TFTs) supplies voltage to liquid-crystal-filled cells sandwiched between two sheets of glass. When hit with an electrical charge, the crystals untwist to an exact degree to filter white light generated by a lamp behind the screen (for flat-panel TVs) or one projecting through a small LCD chip (for projection TVs). LCD monitors reproduce colors through a process of subtraction: They block out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until they're left with just the right color. And, it's the intensity of light permitted to pass through this liquid-crystal matrix that enables LCD televisions to display images chock-full of colors-or gradations of them.

the advantage is always lcd for home viewing...plasma has a bit of flakes and can get image burn on screen!!....lcd is cheaper compared to plasmas!!

panasonic is best in plasma....lcd is available in almost al electronic brands...sony is indeed good but at a higher price than lg or samsung.....i hav a lg 32 inch jazz.....its cool and perfect!!!....the choice is yours afterall....compare the lcd's in a good showroom!!

• 10 years ago

plasmas have a much higher colour range than lcd from 29 billion colours up compared to lcd which is around 16 million and because plasmas are self illuminating have a more natural picture and truer blacks unlike lcds that need backlighting whether it be by leds or the older bulb which gives the blacks a blue ting also lcds still cannot cope well with fast moving images even in full 1080p HD tend to loose a lot of sharpness and blocking of the picture(pixalates) unlike plasmas which have a smoother picture with no loss of clarity in HD as I discovered when upgrading my old plasma tv which I had for the last 7 years with no screen burn this because all plasmas for the past 8 years have anti screen burn software built in and changed the 42" Sony lcd i had bought for a 42" Panasonic full 1080p hd plasma, Panasonic are the best for plasma and have just put a 8mm slimline 3d model on the market slimmer than leds

Hope this helps

• Joan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It depends on the programming you view and the location. If the room for the TV has a lot of windows in it, LCD. If you watch a lot of sports or action movies, Plasma. Plasma doesn't deal well with external light sources. It does, however, respond better to blacks on the screen and lots of screen action. The color representation is often better then LCD. LCD's often respond a little slower than the action. One way to tell if an LCD TV is one of the fast ones is to tune it to one of those sports channels and look at the text scrolling across the bottom of the screen real close up. On many LCD's, this text is blurry because the Pixels don't turn off fast enough. If you decide LCD, then try and swing the extra cost for the ones that are LED back lit. Lower end LCD TVs are lit by fluorescent lights. On LED sets, there are a lot of LEDs in many rows that supply the light for small regions of the screen. The set varies the intensity of the light to better show the content. As a result, the color on them is better looking then regular LCD TVs and the blacks are far deeper. When you can't turn the light source off like you can with LED Back lit and Plasma TVs then many blacks look more like gray. Another advantage is that the life time of the LED's is probably longer then the set will work. 50,000 hours or more. That's 25 work years.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

There is nothing wrong with either Plasma or LCD. If you are looking for a Plasma then buy a Panasonic if you are looking for an LCD then buy a Sony (or a samsung)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Rajiv
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Better from all the points, go with LCD as compare to plasma. Sony is the best one. Full HD is costlier than HD ready. Decide as per yr budget.

• 10 years ago

Plasmas are probably going to be out of the picture soon. Go LCD and I suggest LG for their price and picture quality and high contrast ratios.

• 10 years ago

i say lcd because plasma burns the image in the tv

• 10 years ago

plasma is out, i have been very pleased with LG LCD

Source(s): 20 years as a computer electronics technician in the US Air Force and aerospace industry
  • 10 years ago

plasma LG tv is better.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Plasma gets very hot and is very expensive to run, so there you have it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.