charlotte asked in PetsCats · 10 years ago

What can it mean when a cat coughs up hairballs?

I have a 7 yr old cat & she seems to be having more hairballs than usual over the past year.

Best Answer

The cat needs to be combed and brushed more frequently and possibly given some hairball remedy which can be purchased over the counter. In order to keep a pet cat and especially one who is 7 or older, it is urgent to monitor her water intake to be sure her thirst is not on the increase because excessive thirst and water consumption are signs of possible feline diabetes which can be treated and/or kidney disease, a bad prognosis Shedding hair can also be increased by stress and separation anxiety and other illnesses. Keep your elderly cat comfortable and in familiar territory as much as possible. Cats need a visit to the veterinarian's office a minimum of once a year and very old cats and sick cats need more frequent examination and observation for signs and symptoms so they do not have to suffer needlessly. Best wishes.

Source(s): experience with cats

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): cat coughs hairballs: https://tinyurl.im/sMZga

A cat grooms itself by licking its fur with its rough tongue. As it grooms, loose hair comes away from the cat's coat and is taken into the digestive system.

Hair is primarily composed of keratin, a protein that is hard to digest. The hair will often clump together around undigested food in the cat's digestive system and will not pass all the way through.

The cat will then cough the hairball out its body. Why do cats cough up hairballs? If the hairballs are not regurgitated, they can obstruct the cat's digestion.

Hairballs are ingested fur from the cat cleaning itself. Basically it is normal but you can do something to help your cat. Get a good cat brush and brush your cat at least everyday. This lessens the amount of fur the cat will end up swallowing. A cat's fur sheds but if this sounds like too much loose fur you should check your cat's diet.

Chemicals in cat food (the store bought kind) can make your cat lose its fur. Buy a good organic cat food, quality is everything when it comes to keeping a cat healthy. Also give your cat some vitamins for skin health, go to your local health food store and get your cat healthy. All of these methods will help reduce the fur your cat is having to swallow.

My cat is 14 y.o. and has bee hacking hairballs up her entire life. I took her to the vet and was told it's very common, they swallow a lot of hair when they groom themselves. I feed my cat the "hairball formula" of cat food and about once a week I put a dab of Vaseline on her nose. She loves (?) the taste of it and it's supposed to help the hairballs glide out.

• Lisa B

Are you regularly grooming your cat? I use something called a "Furminator" that sheds out the undercoat, and on cats that don't like that I use an old-fashioned "rattail" brush. Older cats may shed more, and if you don't help them get rid of the hair, they will get hairballs. I often groom those of my cats that like it, and they have no hairball problems. I have only one cat that hates to be groomed, and he does upchuck hairballs sometimes.

Source(s): I think I'm on my 14th lifetime cat, mostly rescued ones.

Hairballs happen because cats clean themselves by licking, as has been pointed out already, and if they don't regurgitate the hair it can cause major problems for them. We use to use a product called TonicLax. Here's a link with some information on it.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/tonic-lax-can.html

• ?

That's normal. My cats do that, but we bought some cat treats from Wal-Mart and they are supposed to help with hairballs, and it works!

Just go to your local Wal-Mart, go to the pet section. There should be a section with cat treats, in the corner it should say stuff like "Tartar Control" you need the one that says "Hair ball control"

It means you happened to be nearby when it happened. Cats get hairballs like we sneeze.

• Isn't hairballs a natural part of cat-hood?

If I recall, I thought it was just from licking itself.

Maybe your cat has stomach problems. You should ask your veterinarian.