cior asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

What does this English word mean?

Hi, I'm learning English and I don't know what this word mean. "masher", and it's someone in the crowded train or crowded subway train..

What kind of person is this, could you elaborate and explain about the word "masher", and what kind of person it is? Thank you.

And, is it a common usage? or is it rarely used for this connotation? If there is a better word or expression, could you write them too? Thank you.

OBXMAR and jilllpilll are correct.

A masher is a pervert who touches woman's body. I knew the meaning, because my vocab book says the meaning too, but I asked this question because I wanted to know if this word is really common or not. It looks like this word is not very common. But thanks everyone!

• OBXMAR
    Favorite Answer

This word is used in the UK as opposed to the USA. I think it means a pervert who likes to rub up against women inappropriately and use the crowd as an excuse.

Source(s): Benny Hill

Personally...I've never heard of that word with English as my first language.

It could be a slang-term, as I can see people trying to "mash" their was into the crowded subways etc. Something like "the other mashers and I knew we only had thirty seconds to crowd into the subway before they shut their doors" or other. I suppose a "masher" would be an individual trying to crowd up. But the more common word "masher" is a kitchen utensil used for mashing :D namely potatoes.

It's hardly common usage I think, enough that you can go on with your daily life without ever knowing the word as an adjective :3

Source(s): English is my first language :D and a couple dictionaries c:
  • maresh

Word Masher

• J.C.B

I have never heard that word used when describing a person so it must be very rare. I assume it means a person who pushes up against you/causes you discomfort on a train. I agree with the first answer - a 'douche bag' is far more appropriate. Mind you, it's not the sort of thing you want to say to random people (kind of offensive). You'll probably get beaten up if you do, so don't... :)

Source(s): I'm 16, English, born here and lived here all my life and been in London quite a lot, thus been on the train lots.

It is a word not commonly describing someone who pushes you on the train. "Masher" would more commonly be used to "crush" or "smash" something. Or is the slang term of a cooking utensil to make "mash potatoes"

Hope that Helps

The OED confirms the meaning:

==quote==

masher

noun 2

2. orig. and chiefly U.S.

A womanizer; a man who makes indecent sexual advances towards women, esp. in public places.

==unquote==

A look in Google News confirms that the term is US slang ( http://news.google.co.uk/archivesearch?pz=1&cf=all... ). It appears to be a somewhat dated term; its heyday was late 19th to early 20th century, when the papers were full of horror stories about mashers in crowded theatres and streetcars.

Source(s): Oxford English Dictionary Google News

A masher is a sexual Predator. The word is not really used much

to mash is to smush or crush a soft object with excessive force, so a masher would most likely be someone that would have to shove someone on/into a train, or someone inside the train that always pushes people around.

It's spelled "Alibi" Al-a-by It's like a story to back up the truth as a form of defense, or what you're saying: like if you asked me where I was at 11:30 last night, my "alibi" would be I was at a friends house watching movies and eating popcorn sitting on her couch. If someone didn't believe me, I would use that story as an alibi

Slang A man who attempts to force his attentions on a woman.

aka he loves woman and attention from them