Brad asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 10 years ago

Need help reinstalling Windows XP - Don't have original Setup CD, "system32\config\SYSTEM missing or corrupt"?

My Gateway laptop (purchased a few years back from Best Buy) was running XP but got infected with a virus (Antivirus System Pro) and then wouldn't boot back into Windows in any mode (Safe, Normal, etc.), it just kept looping back to this Advanced options page, so I couldn't run any anti-malware.

Sadly, I DO NOT have an XP setup CD (Don't recall ever getting one, though I have a plastic packet with some sort of code on it, maybe registration?). So to try to restore the system off the hard drive using F11 key and (because the "non-destructive restore" wouldn't work) a System Restore with Backup. That seemed to run fine, but after windows started opening, the screen went black and a Windows Message comes up saying "The system is not fully installed. Please run Setup again." I tried doing another System Restore, same thing. Tried "Last known good configuration" and got the "windows\system32\config\SYSTEM missing or corrupt" message saying to insert the Setup CD and push "r" -- but I don't have the CD.

I do have another computer that works. I'd hate to buy a new OS and not sure if that would work or is necessary. Can I download XP installation to CD from microsoft, or try something else (maybe in Advanced Options, Boot Menu or BIOS settings -- the things I CAN access) to get the system to fully install? I'm not very tech savvy so could use detailed instructions. THANKS!!!

One good samartan suggested I call a technician. Is this something I really can't fix myself?

Best Answer

Unfortunately, your warranties are expired. As such, Microsoft will not provide you with a download or a CD, and Gateway will not help. I recommend calling a technician to come in and fix your system for you. (not Best Buy or its Geek Squad)

What report are you lacking, from what systema nd for what's it, Then seem on the cyber web or desire perhaps somebody has the report you may keep to a disc and whilst it asks for it rout it to the report on the disc, optimistically? in basic terms a shot, it extremely is tricky without disc. you may might desire to locate one or purchase one.