Is there any danger in postponing one of my baby's vaccine shots?

She is due to get her MMR next week and I am so freaking out about it. All the controversy surrounding this shot is making crazy. I think I would like to pospone it maybe until she is two. Did any of you do this and do you think there would be any harm in it????

I am not "skipping"

I am "postponing"

• Lisa
    Best Answer

I have a 7 year old and a 3 year old. Neither one has gotten the MMR vaccine. They both are very healthy kids.

Postpone until you are completely comfortable with the vaccine. Trust your instincts.

If it will make you feel better, watch this episode of The Brady Bunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk29607gSWA

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQMUxcpbuOE

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEZtaGQ5cg8

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

People didn't used to be scared of measles, just like they didn't used to be scared of chickenpox, before the vaccine came out.

There are only about 60 reported cases of measles per year in the United States. So the chance of your child getting measles is very low. Even if she gets measles, it most likely wouldn't be a big deal at all. It wasn't for my 2 year old unvaccinated child when he got it. No medical care was necessary. Just normal home care such as rest and fluids. My child's case wasn't reported to the health department because we didn't need to go to the doctor when he had it. I got him tested for immunity later on to confirm my diagnosis, and his blood test showed measles immunity. In 2008, there was a measles outbreak in the U.S., in which 132 people got it. Nobody died or had any lasting health effects.

In children, mumps and rubella are more mild than measles. Regarding rubella, the CDC says, "Symptoms are often mild, and up to 50% of infections may be subclinical or inapparent." http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/download... (page 257)

Hobbesie, Of course a sitcom is not "medical evidence," lol. However, it can be evidence of prevailing societal attitudes. I'm sure it was obvious to most others that I included The Brady Bunch episode link to show the attitude people had about measles at the time the show was aired, which was 1969, before widespread use of the measles vaccine. When measles was common, people were not scared of it, so why should be be scared of it now, especially when there are only about 60 cases per year in the United States?

Yes, I am very in opposition to the pictures...a infant infants immune method is trendy, it does not want all the ones chemical compounds announced into their our bodies. My sister-in-regulation who's 20 and my brother-in-regulation who is thirteen, each not ever had a shot of their lives and they're healthful as can also be. My cousin used to be a usual healthful little one, attentive and the whole lot. Around two years historic, he obtained a shot (no longer certain which one) and immediately he wasn't the identical, and now he is sixteen and he is significantly autistic. I recognize reviews exhibit there is not any connection among the pictures and autism, however I feel there may be anything there...appear on the beyond one hundred years how so much the quantity of youngsters who're autistic has extended. It's obtained to be seeing that of anything, and I feel it is the pictures. My daughter goes to be born in a month and my spouse and I have performed tons of study and we don't seem to be giving her one shot. Yes, I'm certain if we gave her the pictures that she could be quality and ultimate, however why take that danger? For the primary few months, all she does is sleep, consume, and poop, all in our condo or a relative's condo. She's no longer going to be uncovered to whatever. Just feed your youngsters with healthful meals and do not supply them junk meals plenty and the whole lot will likely be flawlessly quality. I recognize I'm within the minority in this subject, there is traditionally like a million% of the populace that belive on this, however i do not care. When it involves my little one, I'm no longer placing any chemical compounds in her frame.

Does the MMR vaccine put my child at greater risk for autism?

Expert Answers

Paul Offit, infectious disease expert

There's clear evidence that the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine does not cause autism. Autism – a serious developmental disorder that causes problems in communication, social interaction, and behavior – has been on the rise since the 1970s, and, by some estimates, now affects 1 in 110 children in the United States. No one knows what causes the condition or why it's becoming more prevalent, so parents are understandably alarmed.

Concern about a link between the MMR vaccine and autism began in 1998, after the British medical journal The Lancet published a study connecting the vaccine with autism. The researchers were investigating the theory that intestinal problems like Crohn's disease can result from viral infection and can contribute to the development of autism. The study was very small, however –only 12 children participated – and has since been repudiated by several of the original researchers and retracted by The Lancet.

In 2004, a much larger study in The Lancet compared 1,294 children with autistic spectrum disorders with 4,469 unaffected children and concluded that the MMR vaccination doesn't raise the risk of autism or other autism spectrum disorders.

Since then, a number of other studies have compared the incidence of autism among children who received the MMR vaccine and those who didn't, and they have concluded that autism isn't more common in vaccinated children. Numerous reputable scientific studies involving hundreds of thousands of children have found no link between the MMR vaccine and autism.

Most experts think that autism may be at least partly genetic, and point out that there's no plausible way for a vaccine to trigger it. After all, there's no known connection between autism and measles, mumps, or rubella. It doesn't make sense that a vaccine would cause a condition that the disease itself doesn't cause, since a vaccine is essentially a symptomless infection.

Incidentally, the MMR vaccine never contained thimerosal, the mercury-based preservative that some people believed might be linked with autism. Six studies have now examined the relationship between thimerosal and autism and have concluded that thimerosal-containing vaccines do not cause autism either. In any case, thimerosal has been removed from all childhood vaccines except the flu vaccine, so it's no longer a concern.

Source(s): I had so much fear with every shot my daughter got, because everyone put so much pressure on them and how the thought their children were effected but I had to say would I be more upset at myself if she got sick with one of those and died or MAYBE became autistic and would have a difficult time trying to teach her right from wrong mother to a 14mos old daughter and 14week old son

Contrary to popular belief vaccinations are NOT mandated, they're recommended, and it isn't illegal to not vaccinate. Children can and do go to public school having received no vaccines at all. Most states have a medical and religious exemption, and some also have a philosophical one.

You need to do your own research and decide if the benefits outweigh the risks for yourself and your family. No one on either side of the issue should be telling you what to do when it comes to your family's health.

Yes, if you didn't get her the MMR your child may get mumps, measles, or rubella if they're exposed. But getting the shot does not guarantee preventing the illness. Vaccinations aren't foolproof, and there are risks to vaccinating, as well as those to not vaccinating. If there was no risk the government wouldn't have set up a fund to help vaccine-injured children.

Some parents choose to split up vaccines, especially the combined ones. They've been combined so that it's more likely they'll get all the recommended vaccines (when you combine three it means one trip to the pediatrician). If you're okay with more trips to the pediatrician you can speak to your pediatrician about splitting up the vaccines.

Some parents choose to delay certain vaccinations (or all vaccinations) until they feel the child's immune system is more mature. If you wish to delay the vaccine, then tell the pediatrician that's what you're doing.

Some parents choose to never vaccinate for anything. Those who follow this route need to find a pediatrician who will work with them in this decision.

Some parents choose to vaccinate on an alternate schedule. The current vaccine schedule is set up as it is in order to get all of the recommended vaccines in before the child turns 18 while minimizing the number of trips to the doctor. A good pediatrician will be open to vaccinating on a schedule that you're comfortable with, as long as the child gets all the vaccines.

Some parents choose to follow the recommended schedule exactly.

What you choose is up to you, and not a decision to be made lightly. Do your own research, talk to experts and do what you feel is right for yourself and your family.

After doing the research you should ask yourself this: Am I more scared of her getting mumps, measles, and/or rubella or of her having a reaction to the vaccine?

This research takes time to do correctly, and I know you said the appointment is next week. Maybe you could go in for the appointment and explain to the pediatrician that you're doing some research and would like to delay the vaccine for a little while (a couple of weeks or months, whatever you decide). Most pediatricians are okay with delaying for a short amount of time.

Some pediatricians will tell you that if you choose to delay or not vaccinate they won't have your children as patients. A good, understanding pediatrician should give you credit for being an intelligent, concerned parent and allow you to take the time to do your own research.

Personally, if a doctor of any kind told me that I had to follow their recommendations unquestioningly I'd fire him! There are lots of good doctors out there to choose from.

Good luck in this difficult decision.

Of course there is danger. If she comes in contact with any of those three diseases, she can catch them.

I know that it is possible to skip the booster when you are older. I am allergic to eggs and can't have that shot because it is made inside of an egg. When it was time for my booster when I was a kid, we had me tested to see if I was allergic to the vaccine, and I was. So, I've had to provide a medical record stating that I was allergic to the vaccine a few times, one of which was to start grad school classes. But, if there had been any cases of meseals, mumps, or rubela, I wouldn't have been allowed on the college campus. So, basically, I know you can do it when you are older, but there are some consequences.

I'm not sure if it is allowed to skip the vaccine on a baby. I received the vaccine when I was a baby because my allergy wasn't yet detected.

I'd really do my research before I skip it. Talk to you doctor about it. Make sure that you are only listening to creditable sources.

The biggest risk of postponing the shot is that your baby could catch either measles, mumps, or rubella and she won't have any protection and could become seriously ill (or worse). Also she could pass it onto other younger and unprotected children.

If you are talking about the link to autism? then you should do more research, there is no link. The Dr who completed the report fixed the data to show a link which doesn't exist and has since withdrawn the paper and been struck off the medical register, so cant practice medicine anymore.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/he...

check out Dr Mercola's website http://www.mercola.com/

He has many articles on vaccines and their risks

I have not had my baby vaccinated because I do not believe that vaccines are safe. Also, contracting some of the more common childhood diseases like measles or chicken pox can set up a better immunity for other diseases than any vaccine can offer.

You are well within your rights to not give your child the vaccines at all or to do them in your own timetable.

I have read that some countries offer vaccines one at a time and a year apart from each other. This is believed to be much safer than offering them all together and with only a couple of months in between shots.

Having the vaccinations doesn't stop your child from getting the diseases either. I was really upset because I didn't want to get my daughter vaccinated because I don't believe the vaccinations are safe but then medicare sent me a letter saying that whooping cough was getting around lately. Of course that made me completely paranoid so I went to my doctor and he said that she could still get it even if she was vaccinated and then I read the statistics about how many children actually die from whooping cough. This reassured me some more. Before reading the statistics, I believed that every child that contracted whooping cough would die a horrible painful death because basically thats what a current affair told me!

I originally made a comprimise with my partner that we would get our daughter vaccinated before school but not as a baby. Now that he has done some reading on the subject, he is not too worried about getting her vaccinated at all which makes me so much happier.

I was really worried for the first few months about not getting her shots. I was terrified something would happen to her and I would regret not vaccinating her but I hardly think about it at all now. Nothing is ever fail proof but if you read the statistics on childhood diseases that they vaccinate against then you will be reassured too.

Remember that you can give her the shot any time you like if you change your mind and don't let anyone sway your decision.

Yes, and that danger is that they may get sick because they're not protected by the vaccine. The mercury argument is bullshit, because the amount of mercury in a shot is biologically irrelevant. Please follow your doctor's advice...they're trained professionals who know precisely what they are doing.

To Lisa: I really hope that your answer is a joke, and that you're just trolling the board. Using an episode of the Brady Bunch as medical evidence is downright silly. Next up, you're going to tell me that all the forensic tools used on CSI: Miami are real. Ugh.

• Blunt

i also want to postpone the mmr shot. you are in your right to do so. i'm taking no chances with autism. My MIL is driving me nuts about vaccinating him with the MMr and I blew her off, it's my duty to protect my child from mercury infusions that will damage my little baby's brain.

I plan on postponing the mmr until he is much older.

Good luck

• BB

You need to do a little research to find out all of the truths surrounding the vaccine. Then, if you feel there is a threat, then you can talk to your doctor about postponing it.

MMR, at least in my opinion, is much much more dangerous then the vaccine.