Atheists: if you found out a product you often buy was made by a company who donated regularly to...?

Focus on the Family, or some other similar religious organization/lobbying group whose practices you strongly disagreed with, would you stop buying said product?

Are there any additional factors that would sway your opinion either way? (how cheap the product is, whether you could find a decent replacement or not, etc). Elaborate!

I asked a similar question once in LGBT (about buying stuff from places that discriminate against LGBT employees) and no one understood wtf I was talking about. I'm hoping for better answers here!

xoxo,

crapbag

I would like to remind some of you to read the entire question. I specifically asked about groups similar to Focus on the Family. Or any group whose policies you disagree with.

Reading is not hard!

Best Answer

I would probably discontinue buying it if it was a lobbying group.

And I dislike Focus on the Family greatly. (I can't stand James "it's okay to beat your kids with a belt" Dobson)

They also discriminate against gays.

Wouldn't give them a penny if they had the last drop of water on earth.

If I absolutely had to have it and there was no replacement, I guess I'd use it. But that doesn't sound like a choice. As for expense, I'd definitley pay more for something that *didn't* help fund Dobson or the PTL club.

However, I have given to Christian-based charities like "Christian Children's Fund" and "Save the Children" because they have good track records for bringing famine relief and clean water to remote areas. I don't discriminate against religious charities, even though I'm atheist. But I can do without Christian lobbying groups pushing their "faith-based" agendas.

EDIT:

Gravity foxx summed it up for me. Very succinct and pithy, sir

I am going to be honest, I would most likely stop buying. Though I would probably investigate the company to see what they are for exactly. If they were a group that practices something I strongly am against or some thing like that, then I would. I would that is if I could find a replacement for the product that would be about the same quality. If I would not be successful in finding one, I would have to learn to deal with such a thing. It would be that or either living without the product at all.

Knowing me I would no longer purchase the product. The idea of giving my money to a group who I was strongly against, they benefiting from it would not be something I would be comfortable with.

• I suppose it depends. If it's a die-hard product, I think I would still buy. I would just mentally chastise myself every time.

I have this thing about animal testing (though it's not really the same as the question asked). If I find out that a product I'm using tests on animals I'll look for a replacement. If the one I find is a flop, I'll keep looking until I find something just as good if not better.

Now, donating money to an organization I disagree with... Like I said, it depends on how good the product is. If it's irreplaceable, I'll keep buying. If not, then I'll switch immediately.

I'd check what other organizations they gave to. If I thought there was a bias, I'd look into alternative sources of this product if it were necessary or highly sought after, and compare the other company in the same way, and price. I'd then make an educated decision on if I'd switch.

I'd consider calling the company directly and offering severe criticisms about the product if I had any reason to have any, taking up their time and money, and therefor profit.

Yes, I would stop purchasing a product if I found out that they engaged in something I considered objectionable. There is a chain of stores that I refuse to do business with for just such a reason. It is a store that sells lots of things that I use regularly and the prices are quite fair, but I won't give my money, to a company that passively discriminates against people based on their religion.

If the company donated to groups that would like to enforce religious beliefs into our laws and education, I would stop buying the product, even if a replacement product cost much more or was harder to purchase.

Product>Christian Charity> Starving Children: Yes.

Product>Christian Organization: No.

If these groups pay for religious organizations to exist or use the money to sponsor religion or promote religion then i would stop buying the product but, the mere fact that the organization has religious roots doesn't bother me.

• I would contact the company regarding my concerns and question the propriety of their donations. If they didn't alleviate my concerns, then I would inform them that I was going to organize a boycott.

With the magic of the internet, that can now have some pretty noticeable effects.

I would be willing to resume buying their product when I was convinced that they had rectified the situation.

Source(s): I'm not an atheist btw

It depends on how replaceable it is and how bad the policy is.

Lapua brass, for instance... I'm not going to switch to Prvi Partizan if I find out that Lapua doesn't hire atheists.

Now... if I find out that Unilever had a policy like that... I could see paying a little more for Dreyers ice cream, assuming I find something I enjoy as much as Breyers rocky road.

As for donating to religious groups... as long as they aren't donating to the Westboro Baptist Church, I don't think it would bother me too much.