Jeep Grand cherokee V8 or Inline 6 ?

For my first car my mom is going to help me buy one. Im basicly working on minimum wage atm making around 900-1200 a month. I cant save a single penny because I have to pay for grocery's and other things. I really like her 98 Grand cherokee i like the way it drives its really easy to drive the car, i love how... show more For my first car my mom is going to help me buy one. Im basicly working on minimum wage atm making around 900-1200 a month. I cant save a single penny because I have to pay for grocery's and other things. I really like her 98 Grand cherokee i like the way it drives its really easy to drive the car, i love how it handels in the winter. This last winter we had 3 feet of snow twice and the car drove in it like a champ. I've been doing alot of work on the Jeep learning the engine, and other parts. Changed the sparkplugs, distributor cap and rotar, the oil, the transmission output sensor (which she neglected to fix for 10 years), the air filter stuff like that.

I actually enjoy working on the car, now I plan to get a used 97-98 preferably dont really want a 93-95, I wish i could find a Jeep that has the same 2WD-4WD options as hers, but all im seeing on craigslist seem to be locked in 4WD.

I want to get the V8 because it sounds better, and If i ever get into modifications or something i thinka V8 would be better. I saw alot of youtubes video's of the 5.9 and 5.2 actually drag racing and they kicked the crap out of all the other cars. The V8 with a modified exhast sounds like a beast too. However i also like the inline 6 because of it longevity and reliability that i am reading from online. Gas mileage also plays another parts as im not rich i cant afford alot of Gas.

Whats the gas mileage diff between the 5.2 V8 and the 4.0 Inline 6 ? According to the electronic thing in the Jeep she gets 17MPG, altho from the math on the fuel gauge when it gets low i concluded its actually around 13Mpg with the a/c being used on and off. My mom said the V8 gets terrible gas mileage and her friend sold his along time ago because of that. So eh i dunno.

What should I get ? Also when im looking at a Jeep what should i look for to see if it has mechanical problems like with the transmission and engine so i dont waste my money. How many miles is too many ? How much money is too much ? I noticed most Jeeps for sale in my area are 96's with like 200k+ miles and seem to go for around $2500 which seems too much to me.
Update: Your right a Inline 6 would probably be better. I just like the V8 sound and power. No way id get a V4 Jeep heh, i'll gladly pay more gas money for a bigger engine then that. As for a cherokee, eh i never liked the way they look. To much like a Box on wheels. Even when i was 10 years old i had a... show more Your right a Inline 6 would probably be better. I just like the V8 sound and power.

No way id get a V4 Jeep heh, i'll gladly pay more gas money for a bigger engine then that. As for a cherokee, eh i never liked the way they look. To much like a Box on wheels. Even when i was 10 years old i had a neighbor who had one and i thought it was ugly..
Update 2: Your right a Inline 6 would probably be better. I just like the V8 sound and power. No way id get a V4 Jeep heh, i'll gladly pay more gas money for a bigger engine then that. As for a cherokee, eh i never liked the way they look. To much like a Box on wheels. Even when i was 10 years old i had a... show more Your right a Inline 6 would probably be better. I just like the V8 sound and power.