Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 10 years ago

I want to learn deeper theory and to actually compose music now that I have some idea of theory, help me!?

I have recently completed my AP Music Theory class in high school a while ago, and now I want to move onto the next step by learning deeper theoretical stuff and also to how to actually compose music. Could you help on what direction I should go to?

Favorite Answer

The best way to compose music is to start by making up songs in your mind (tunes, really - they can be with or without words). Now that you have completed the AP Music Theory class, you should be able to write down most, or at least some, of what you hear in your mind. You can also pick up or sit down at an instrument and doodle around, until you hear a melody. Then write what you hear.

It may be best for you to start by working with what you already know and can do now. As you become more comfortable with writing at your current level, then you can take additional Theory classes or read books on your own to learn more.

Source(s): More information on music writing tools is available at http://hubpages.com/hub/Rhythm-in-Music-Part-IV and related articles.

independent study. Try researching: atonality exotic scales (Neopolitan major/minor, mixolydian b6 and it's modes, harmonic minor's modes, double harmonic scale and it's modes, symetrical augmented scale, modes of the diatonic scale (if you haven't already) indian ragas, arabic maquams, etc... etc...) alternate tuning systyms ethnic music diffrent theroys of harmony orchestration counterpoint (if you haven't already) odd time signatures music production un-orthodox classicail instrumentation (a ocarina concerto, for example) polymodal chromaticism the harmonic series and it's implication for our music. polystylisim polytonality Let your mind roam free, nothing is unholy!