Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 10 years ago

Why is professional betta fighting considered wrong?

Before any of your hate comments, let me explain.Yes, I do fight betta fish and no it's quite different from rooster fighting and dog fighting.You may ask why.Okay, here's why.Betta's fight in the wild.Okay, yes dogs and roosters do that to.But it's different in Betta's, fighting for them is like a hobby.a scientist once released two males in a completely foreign lake.Instead of immediately going their separate ways, the betta beat the crap out of each other then went their separate ways.The territory was foreign to them, so they couldn't have claimed it as theirs! Betta's aren't like dogs.People force dogs to fight.Betta's are more like professional boxers, they're willing to fight and will fight without any human interference.I fight what you call plakat thai.a short finned, tough scale, sharp teeth version of the normal and fancy betta.It's tougher and its scales are very much stronger.When fighting the fish, we place them in a bare 5 gallon tank.Unlike in asia, we separate the fish as soon as one looks wounded.We normally bet on those fish, but it's more like boxing or professional fighting.we managed to make the fighting style of those fish suit us.The fish are magnificent and we breed each fish after fighting.This is what the live for.After all, every part of the Betta's life involves fighting, EVEN BREEDING! It's a part of life for them, and we just enhanced it.My friend is a vet and he takes care of all injured fish.Fish never get seriously injured in our tournaments because of their tough scales etc....

That's why they're placed in 5 to 10 gallon tanks to fight where I'm from!

If our bettas don't want to fight, then we simply give them away to a pet shop.

We don't force them to fight though.Sometimes we even place them in small ponds!

LOL, we don't let them fight for long.If a lot of fins are eaten away, then we seperate them! It's like professional boxing! According to your logic, professional boxing is also wrong and that makes you sick for not going againnst it!

I've even successfully cross betta splendens with betta smaragdina and betta imbellis!

I remove the betta which loses!!!!!!!

Favorite Answer

Fighting anything for sport is wrong. They are not like professional boxers, who can CHOOSE for themselves to fight, because they are human. You make the choice for the fish, and get your giggles from fighting them. It's exploiting the bettas natural instincts.

It's good that you regulate it (well I should say, better than nothing) but keeping it regulated stil doesnt take away the moral dilemma here--that fish are still being injured for no good reason other than you want to watch them.

I gotta give you a thumbs down on this one.

In their natural environment, when two bettas fight, the loser just leaves while the winner claims territory and does a victory swim. But in a closed environment where the loser CANNOT just swim away, the winner will continue to beat the crap out of the loser until it dies.

This so reminds me of the ancient Roman gladiators, forced to fight for other people's entertainment.

And no, you are wrong. Betta's aren't willing to fight, they are willing to do whatever it takes to protect their territory. They don't want to fight, it's just that sometimes they have to when another betta invades, or in this case, someone places another betta in a tank. And excuse me? Fish never get seriously injured? People make the little guys fight to the death, or even if it isn't fight to the death, you can't possibly take one betta out as soon as it is injured. If one scale falls off or one tail is a little ripped, you won't be able to notice that right away. You'll only be able to notice that when it becomes more serious.

And about the completely foreign lake. The reason why the two were fighting was because they wanted to claim the territory! Protect their NEW territory. Either way, you should not risk the safety of a betta for your own enjoyment.

Oh, and if fighting is a hobby for them, why don't they just beat the crap out of plants and gravel and ornaments like professional boxers do for training?

ADD: If you are so stubborn with your thought that Betta Fighting for Entertainment is CORRECT, then why do you even bother asking this question?

Source(s): Personal Experience

I agree with the above.. Plakats are not stronger, or tougher scaled. They are just more fit to fight then regular Betta's, with their agileness and short fins.

When animals fight, it is all the same. It doesn't matter if you are fighting bulls, fish, dogs, roosters, or tigers. They are in no way comparable to Boxers, who have the CHOICE to step into the ring, and I don't see the Betta's flopping up to you saying, "Hey man, I wanna fight. Set me in that tank. "Kay?" ...... Placing two Betta's in a tank when you know they are going to fight is not free will, you are just basically taking advantage of their instincts. In the wild they fight for a reason, for territory or for a mate. In a tank they are fighting for nothing, only trying to succeed so not to die.

Should I say kudos you take out the losing Betta..? Or that you have a Vet..? It is still in no way right.

Source(s): Owner of a happy Betta, Shunsui.
  • Emma

Actually, that sounds exactly like dog fighting. Some people let the dogs fight to their death for profit. Some only make them wounded and suffer for profit before healing them solely for the purpose of hurting them again.

Plakats are the traditional fish used in betta fights, but that's because they are more agile due to their shorter more efficient fins. Don't be under any illusions that their scales are stronger or different because they're not. It is solely a difference in fin size.

I'm unsure what the question is or why you're posting here. You spent a paragraph justifying something that can't be justified as anything but animal cruelty, and did so on a forum where you 100% know you will be blasted by just about everyone. If you want people to respond irrationally so that you can laugh at those who think fish should have general welfare, well, I guess you'll succeed.

• star

sorry ,you can do all the talking you want to and that still wont make me think it right! you say you enhanced it ?No you mean you make money off it , that the real fun for you betting! Don't say you don't.professional boxers are human They make up their own minds if they want to fight and they get paidfor it .The betta are fish. You put them together to fight. They don't get in the tank by them self, you put them there !You make money.The people who bet on them makes money. Even the vet make money and the betta get pain,are you feeling guilty? you should ! Why are you on here to get people to tell you it ok? It is not ok, you are not convincing any one that this is all right. I don't have any more time for you! I wasted to much time already on you, for you will keep on doing it any way! No matter what i or any one says !

Bettas in the wild aren't trapped in a tank and they can swim away. Bettas almost never get killed from fighting in the wild. Fighting animals is not a profession. It's cruel. Plakats do not have tougher scales than other bettas. They are usually more aggressive. Just because they can fight doesn't mean they should fight. You ARE forcing them to fight by putting them in the same tank.

ADD: I think it's absolutely sad that a veterinarian would allow such thing to go on. I've aspired to become a vet since I was 4 years old and I don't tolerate any animal abuse. No human being should enjoy watching other animals getting killed. That's just sick to me.

ADD: Tank or small pond, you're still forcing them to fight by making them fight and defend themselves over the territory.

Add: Boxers are humans and they have the choice to box. The bettas you thrown in your tanks do not have that choice.

In the wild the weaker one is driven off, can hide in the plants, or might get the tar beaten out of it, even killed. The dominent one might be distracted by a female or something else worth picking on.

The point is there are different ways it can go. What you do in your fighting is take away the variables and make it 'fight or die', and this is what is immoral.

*** well, I guess that was the same as the first post in different words lol

There is NO sane justification for forcing ANY kind of animal to fight. None.

Source(s): Common sense

u no wat! it is rong i feel like putting u and ur vet mate in a 5gal tank and watch u fight and make a living out of it. and NO it is NOT NATRAUL for then to FIGHT so STOP being so CRUEL!!!!

• Hmmm...