Jump start my car that has a bad starter?

I have a 95 chevy Beretta (auto tran) and it is stuck in a parking garage 45 miles from my house:[ I believe the starter has been on its way out for a while now because every once in a while it freezes up and i have to bang on it with a long screw driver while someone turns the key. last night though, my normal 2 man routine did not work. i tried hitting at as hard as i could and from several different angels. I think the starter is finally toast. I am trying to find out if there is any way to start it without the starter so i don't have to tow it

Favorite Answer

Unfortunately Joe there is no way. If it was a manual transmission you could push start it but you got an auto.

You might try taking that same screw driver and touching the positive post on the starter to the positive post on the solenoid, sometimes the extra voltage is enough to get the starter to start working once.

If it was me, I would drop the starter right there and run to the parts store and buy a reman starter or a new starter and just go back and put it in. But that's on old salty mechanic talking lol

Source(s): 30 years as a mechanic

My in basic terms suggestion is your battery. Windshield wipers inform you no longer something with regards to the starter. A trickle charger will take days to value the battery. you may desire to place it on a ten-20amp charger for some hrs. A vehicle with a thoroughly lifeless battery might desire to nevertheless get leap began except you had a foul battery cable connection or jumper cable connection. A loose belt won't ward off the automobile from beginning - despite if it would ward off the alternator from charging a battery. however the belt might might desire to be so loose which you will possibly have overheating issues, AC issues, skill guidance issues or problems with upload-ons that are pushed via the comparable belt. not one of the indications you published factor to the starter.

the solenoid that mounts on the starter is bad...call your local part store and see if they offer a solenoid for your starter...they may not and you may have to buy a new starter..

I do not know of a way to start a A/T...maunal yes but A/T I have no idea