What is a good dish to bring to a block party? Recipes and idea's welcome...?

My husband and I moved into our new house about 2 months ago. We have met most of the neighbors on our street and so far we love them all! Most of the neighbors have been living in their houses for 30+ years.

Well the neighbors across the street from me decided they wanted to have a block party on our street.. They handed out invitations to everyone on the street and they are providing the meats (ribs, chick, hamburgers, & hotdogs) but they are requesting that everyone else provide a covered dish or a side dish, etc.

I am a pretty good cook, but I don't want to bring just some boring pasta salad or potato salad so i was just looking for some suggestions on what I coudl bring for the block party.

I'm open to difficult or different recipes as well.

Favorite Answer

Here are some great recipes:

Cocktail Pigs in a Blanket

Fun little bites - perfect for a party. These easy to make snacks are made with hot dogs & crescent rolls. Add Pigs In a Blanket to your lineup of snacks for your next super bowl party.

1 package small cocktail wieners

1/2 cup shredded colby jack cheese

2 packages crescent rolls

favorite barbecue sauce for dipping

Unroll crescent rolls. Cut each crescent roll into thirds, making 3 small, long triangle strips. Sprinkle shredded cheese over triangles. Starting at one end, roll hot dogs in crescent. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with barbecue sauce or ketchup for dipping.

=======================

Mini Mexican Corn Bread

Use the mini muffin pans

Take your favorite cornbread mix & mix in Pepper jack cheese & sharp cheddar cheese, diced mild green chilies & top with a few shreds of cheese on top.

==========================

Apple Fritters

Yields: 24 Servings

2 cups Bisquick

2/3 cup milk

1 egg, just add

2 cups apples (chopped small)

Powdered sugar to sprinkle on apple fritters

Mix Bisquick, milk & egg until well blended. Stir in apples. Drop by small teaspoonfuls into deep hot fat (360-375 degrees). Turn & fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with syrup or powdered sugar.

To use a minimum of fat for frying, melt fat in a deep 2 or 3 quart kettle which is only 7 or 8 inch wide across the top. Two cups of fat will give a depth of about 1 inch, sufficient for frying.

============================

Curried Chicken Salad Sandwiches on Mini Croissants

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked & finely chopped (about 2 cups)

Or

(Packaged, pre-cooked chicken breast strips may substitute)

1/2 tablespoon currants, or chopped golden raisins

Scant 1/4 cup onions, finely minced

1 rib celery, finely minced

10-12 mini-croissants rolls

Dressing

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1 tablespoon mayonnaise

2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Salt & ground black pepper, to taste

1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 garlic clove, finely minced

Combine the chicken, currants or raisins, onions & celery in a bowl. In a small bowl, whisk all the dressing ingredients together. Pour the dressing over the chicken mixture & toss well. Cover & chill for at least 20 minutes.

Split croissants. Spoon about 1 tablespoon (depending on roll size) of the chicken salad onto one half of croissant, top with other half. Secure with toothpicks for buffet service.

Serve at room temperature.

Follow above assembly directions for this tasty filling

Chicken Pecan

2 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped

1/3 cup celery, finely minced

1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped

1/3 cup mayonnaise

Seasoned salt & ground black pepper to taste

Mix together all ingredients. Can be made 1 day in advance.

Any time I have to bring a side dish or something to a bbq or cook-out, I like bringing orzo salad. It's a little bit different from your traditional pasta salad.

* Kosher salt

* Good olive oil

* 3/4 pound orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)

* 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)

* Freshly ground black pepper

* 2 pounds (16 to 18 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined

* 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts

* 1 cup chopped fresh dill

* 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

* 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced

* 1/2 cup small-diced red onion

* 3/4 pound good feta cheese, large diced

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.

Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!

Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Add the feta and stir carefully. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight. If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving.

What's great is that you can vary this recipe. I usually just stir fry my shrimp to save from turning on the oven and even substitute it with chicken or use all roasted vegetables instead.

• Daniel

Stuffed pepper (for 8-13 peppers) 1. Take 1 onion, chop and heat in cooking oil on a skillet 2. Take about half a pound minced meat and add to the onion 3. Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder, I tea sp. Garlic paste and same amount of ginger 4. add salt and vinegar 5. Add a cup of water, cook for about 30 minutes 6. Boil 1 and a half cup of rice for 10 minutes and drain 7. mix the rice with the minced meat and cook in low-medium heat for 10 more minutes 8. Add 2 tomatoes/ketchup/puree 9. Add cilantro, and about 2 teaspoon of mayo in the entire thing (do not overdo the mayo) 10. Take the top of the pepper and take out the seeds. Heat up the grill or the oven to 350 F. 11. Stuff the pepper with the rice and meat mix 12. Put the top back on and grill for 3-5 minutes (be careful, it burns easy)

• This is an AMAZING baked bean recipe. It makes a hefty 9x13 pan so it's perfect for sharing at parties and definitely different than your standard baked beans (and it's easy to make - but you don't need to share that with the neighbors).

HOT AND SMOKY BAKED BEANS

Serve these hot or at room temperature.

6 bacon slices

1 1/2 cups chopped onion

1 1/4 cups purchased barbecue sauce

3/4 cup dark beer

1/4 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses

3 tablespoons Dijon mustard

3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

4 to 6 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chilies

6 15- to 16-ounce cans Great Northern beans, drained

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Transfer 2 1/2 tablespoons bacon drippings from skillet to large bowl. Finely chop bacon; add to bowl. Add onion and next 7 ingredients to bowl and whisk to blend. Whisk in 4 to 6 teaspoons chipotle chilies, depending on spiciness desired. Stir in beans. Transfer bean mixture to 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Bake uncovered until liquid bubbles and thickens slightly, about 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes.

• Sawyer

Pasta Salad...

Spiral pasta

cubed squash and zuccinni

grape tomatoes

small black olives

red or green onion

cucumber

bell pepper

mushrooms

....all these ingredients are optional, use what you think is good. If it's gonna be chilled, maybe add some shredded cheese and diced salami or pepperonni.

Pour over a bottle of dressing.

Italian (most often used)

olive oil vinegarette

greek

...whatever sounds good

This one couldn't be easier and usually goes over well: fresh tomatoes, a chunk of mozzarella cheese, diced; diced scallions ( or green onions, whatver you prefer to call them) a small jar of Italian marinated mushrooms, drained--in whatever quantity you need depending on how much you're making. I usually use a small jar of mushrooms, 1/2 dozen scallions and about equal parts tomatoes to cheese--for this ratio, about 4 oz. cheese for 4 medium tomatoes.

Add balsamic vinegar to taste, stir and let sit at least a couple of hours--the longer, the better. If you need it for a Saturday night, make it Friday.

I'm assuming there will be multiple grills. If so, I always like to be the one who grills up the veggies. I buy a cheap foil pan from the grocery store and load it up. I just cut up a variety of veggies in to fat pieces and drizzle w/ EVOO, salt, pepper, fresh rosemary, and thyme. It's always been a hit when I grill that up at parties and I think people like having a healthy-ish option.

Go to www.foodnetwork.com for loads of simple, tasty ideas. I swear by it.

Baked mac&cheese is not pasta salad... I put bread crumbs, bacon, shallots, layers of Swiss, between lots of old cheddar and cracked black pepper in mine.

You might want to try one of my favorite party dips or side dish

This vegetable salad recipe is fantastic

http://www.chili-everyway.com/vegetable-salad-reci...

Everyone loves this 3 bean dip recipe and it is different

http://www.chili-everyway.com/easy-dip-recipes.htm...

This easy fruit salad recipe is always popular

http://www.chili-everyway.com/easy-fruit-salad-rec...

Have fun!

I would say we had a prior commitment. Block parties are so declasse'.