I'm an African American with mild acne that causes discolorations. What can I use?

I used to have acne when I was around 12 but by the time I hit middle school, it was gone. Now I am 22 years old and I keep getting tiny bumps. I use different acne washes but I think I've used too many to the point where they have all irritated my skin and it has become sensitive.

Neutrogena Grape fruit Salicylic Acid used to do well now it breaks me out. Basically anything with Salicylic Acid. Currently I use Clean and Clear Benzoyl Peroxide exfoliating scrub which causes my skin irritation. It makes the pimples scab and that turns into marks.

Marks are more so the problem. Even if the pimple goes away, it still leaves a darn mark! and it doesn't even have to be a severe break out, i get tiny ones spotted .

enclosed are a few photos

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9647/rszpimples...

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5188/rszpimples...

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3521/rszpimples...

I was thinking that I should stop washing my face period but wouldn't that make it worse? I've started to use hydroquinone but I read that mixed with benzoyl peroxide makes it worse. It does appear to have worsen since I've started combining the two.

I said that I would do a 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide facial wash

Apply some kinda tropical lightening agent for the discolorations

Oral antibiotics

and some type of moisturizer.

The problem is, I don't know what to use. Please help me! I feel so "unattractive" with this problem. I used to get complimented on my skin. Now I don't even want my boyfriend to look at me.

Thanks Leah but no to Ambi. That is the reason I have these problems. I've NEVER had irritation this badly BEFORE i started using Ambi products. Ambi is initially what started this.

Favorite Answer

Benzoyl peroxide is very drying, and combined with the harsh exfoliation of the scrub your skin will most definitely be left irritated. I would recommend using a really gentle cleanser because your skin needs a break (you can make your own, with ground oats and organic honey) which should calm skin and fight any spots as honey is a natural antibiotic. You can even use it every day because it is so gentle.

I would try using tea tree or witch hazel hydrosol to prevent acne... or a chamomile one to calm irritated skin. If you cant get hold of hydrosols/ floral water then try a green tea toner. Simply steep a green tea teabag in warm (not fully boiled) water and apply to your face when it has cooled. Some people like to refrigerate for a refreshed feeling, and to improve shelf life...I wouldn't keep it for more than a couple of days max though =)

Organic virgin coconut cream is good for healing and moisturising skin- take a small amount, warm in your hands and massage into face at night. Kojic acid and arbutin are good lightening ingredients to look for in creams and serums, as they fade dark patches and even out skin tone. Shiseido have a whitening range (moisturiser, serums, you name it) that is very popular, so you might want to look into that further. I have heard many positive things about the UV White Whitening Protective Moisturiser, which might be worth a shot.

Hope this helps you, good luck! xoxo

p.s. face masks are useful to use 1/2 times a week. LUSH do a good range of fresh ones, so you can pick and choose ones that you feel your skin needs as and when it changes.

Dry and/or greasy skin due to poor oil composition of the skin. Thick greasy oils clog pores, lack of oil leads to dryness and irritation. You need thin oils to moisturize while dissolving and clearing gunk in your poors. Try fish oil or seafood. 2 tsp fish oil a day or 4 servings of seafood a week. Stick it out for at least 2 months; it will take a long time to replace all your oil. Any effect after 1-2 days is temporary or random; so even if it makes you break out a little at first, you haven't given it a full try yet.

In the short term you can wash and moisturize well, but that will only go so far. Plus excessive washing can be drying and excessive moisturizing can be clogging. Use a small amount of a light moisturizer, made with oil not jelly or grease. Often that means soybean oil or mineral oil. Mineral oil means mined from the ground. So soybean oil is usually better, though mineral oil won't cause too much harm. Clean with soap and water, not a harsh acne cleanser. Even then they only work so well. So you really need the seafood.

Antibiotics aren't really good for bacteria long term, they'll come back in force after. Short term they may help. After you get off them find some kefir with acidophilus listed first or 2nd to replace the friendly bacteria they destroyed. Studies show less illness when you have these bacteria, even outside the stomach in places such as the lungs and elsewhere. You want friendly bacteria to fill the void when the antibiotics stop, not harmful ones.

In the short term you might also try 100,000+ iu retinol vitamin A (a megadose, and too much for normal use) or one of the acne drugs that is similar to retinol vitamin A. It's some minor harm to your organs, but it helps against bacteria on your skin. At least it doesn't have the other long term drawbacks to your skin that antibiotics and many scrubs do.

If you would like to learn how to treat your acne permanently and regain your health and wellbeing, without drugs, without typical acne treatments, and without any side effects, then this will be the most important letter you will ever read.

Weird Trick Forces Your Body

To Eliminate Your Acne

Giving You Beautiful Clear Skin

In 30-60 Days?

Make sure your sound is turned on!

This is the most amazing honey facial mask recipe!!! It works amazingly well :P

http://bit.ly/1vs0kJA

Raw honey works amazing because not only is it natural, but it has anti-bacterial properties that works just as great and probably better than any lab-made cream in the market. I Highly recommend honey facial masks.

Well to get rid of the marks use Ambi Even & Clear Skin Care Here's a link to see what it looks like:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=158...

Ive used this product (Im black) and it defiantly helped fade the discoloration in my skin. You can get it at walmart or wallgreens

Me personally, I use Skin ID for my breakouts but if you prefer store brand items, Ambi also has acne medication that may work for you. I personally haven't tried the acne wash but I hear it works well on black skin (Ambi is specially designed for African Americans with skin problems)

hope that helps

Source(s): trial and error and word of mouth
  • Daniel

first of all, you are stressed out!!! you need to find a way to relax or everything will just get worse. use scar removal cream, you can get it at any drug store. try neutrogenas acne stress control. its an acne system that helps acne due to stress. you can get it at a drugstore too.

be happy in ur skin...even if its bad

first find out what skin type you have as in oily,dry,combination,normal,acne prone,sensitive etc.

after you find out what skin type you have spend some time on the web searching homemade recipes for(your skin type).

then find the ingredients, make it , and soon youll have pretty skin!!!