Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Breastfeeding during pregnancy, coping with nipple pain?

I'm 15 weeks pregnant. I thought it would get better during the second trimest but it hasn't. If anything, the pain has gotten more intense! I love nursing my son and don't want to wean. He's not ready to wean either. But I've been told that the pain gets even worse in the third trimester. I don't know how to deal with it! He only nurses a few times per day and he's usually really good about being gentle. But it feels like my nipples are cracked and bleeding. They're not and I don't hve an infection or anything. Any advice? Words of encouragement?

Thanks Pearl, real encouraging. Can you sense the sarcasm there? Oh more details, he's over 2 years old, how do you feel about that? Grrr troll

Favorite Answer

I wish I could tell you that it will get better, but it never did for me. I nursed all through my fourth pregnancy (and unfortunately, my third child was a total boob fiend and was on me alllll the time), and it hurt like hell the whole time. After about the fifth month, my milk dried up from the hormonal changes in my body, but my son still comfort nursed frequently, and it was torture. Once my baby was born, it was like a switch was flipped. My milk came in very quickly, and I was able to tandem nurse both little ones with no pain at all. In similar circumstances, I would do it all over again, but I have to admit that nursing throughout a pregnancy was so painful that at times I fantasized about weaning. If this is something you feel strongly about, then you'll probably have to just grit your teeth and put up with the pain. Good luck, and hang in there!

Oh, and no flames from me about nursing a two-year-old. My youngest is still nursing at age three, and both of her brothers did the same. My older daughter (now 16) was the only child to self-wean, which she did at 17 months. Don't let people give you any grief about nursing a toddler. It's not like he's going to head off to college with a breast in his mouth, right? :)

try the same kind of treatments for newly breastfeeding moms, the ice packs (soothie gel pads) the creams (lanolin cream, lansinoh) stuff like that. i'm not really sure if there is anything else you can do.

since he is over 2 you might consider weaning him, but it doesn't sound like either of you are ready for that, maybe reduce 1 feeding a day to give your nips a little but more time to rest.

o and good for you for sticking with it, i can tell it's really something you feel you should do even thru the pain.

* o and try not putting soap on your nipples in the shower.