5 month old biting and pulling while nursing?

My 5 month old daughter has started to bite down (or maybe I should say 'gum' down since she has no teeth yet) on my nipples while I am nursing her, and as if that wasn't bad enough, she pulls back when she chomps down. I don't think she is old enough to understand "No", but my nipples are getting really sore and I don't know what to do! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• daa

Many babies go through this stage. Fortunately, it doesn't usually last long! A baby cannot bite down while she is actively nursing (her own tongue would be in the way). Watch her closely for signs that she's no longer really nursing and be prepared to slide a finger into her mouth to get her off the nipple before she has a chance to bite down. If you miss it and she does chomp down, try pulling her in closer to get her to let go, then stop the nursing session for a moment or two. She should get the idea pretty quickly.

Try a nipple guard, they're silicone covers for your nipples with holes for nursing and they can really help with sore and chapped nipples from nursing.